Join for free
Page 7 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 09:42 AM

Re: Cassius Clay AKA Mohammed Ali

After reading all the comments, I have to say this;
lets not forget what this thread is supposed to be about.As in: paying respects to a one time great sportsman.
whether you liked him or hated him, you cant get away from the fact that he was great and 3 times world champ.
if peeps dont like him,please dont come on slinging mud and being disrespectful .
P.
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Well whatever, the guy is dead, end of!
tut tut.
Is that how you would like to think peeps who knew you said" well whatever, T is dead, end of"
dont think so.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 11:05 AM

Bloody hell - I'm with Purdy on this one !!!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 11:37 AM

I'm not.
How is it disrespectful to call him Cassius Clay?
He was... in addition to Mohammed Ali.
Do you call Cat Stevens, Cat Stevens or Yusuf Islam?
It's the person who counts.

He was a great boxer, larger than life.
It is true he was also a draft dodger. He was convicted of draft evasion, sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and banned from boxing for three years. He avoided the prison term after an appeal.
There are those who couldn't escape military service, served in Vietnam, who still see that as an abuse of his position.

And there are those who see him as an ambassador for Human Rights.
I thought him to be a great boxer. I rather liked the guy but no one is perfection personified.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Bloody hell - I'm with Purdy on this one !!!
I hate to tell you this Pummy, but you are with the majority of us on this one/
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 11:54 AM

But it does beg the question ... should it only be permissible to say good things about the dead?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 12:16 PM

Maybe I was wrong about Clay, I only saw the unpleasant side of him. However, he does appear to have done some good too.

I still think boxing is a very unpleasant, dangerous activity, which should be banned as the purpose is to knock the opponent out!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Maybe I was wrong about Clay, I only saw the unpleasant side of him. However, he does appear to have done some good too.

I still think boxing is a very unpleasant, dangerous activity, which should be banned as the purpose is to knock the opponent out!
Well done you, it is never easy to admit you may have been wrong but very brave to do so.
I agree with you about boxing, but if we banned it there would be boxing matches continued in secret without all the benefits to healthcare that they currently have..... so maybe better controlled that not!
saphire17
England
saphire17 is female  saphire17 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 12:34 PM

Have to say i find boxing distasteful but as someone said to me once it does help a lot of young men find their way in what might otherwise have been a disasterous life of crime landing them in prison many times.
There is evidence that Ali done a lot more good than harm.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 12:37 PM

As I remember some black bloke won an Olympic medal-he was banned from several places.

Page 7 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top