Join for free
Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >
saphire17
England
saphire17 is female  saphire17 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 01:44 PM

Re: Cassius Clay AKA Mohammed Ali

Why was he banned.?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Well done you, it is never easy to admit you may have been wrong but very brave to do so.
I agree with you about boxing, but if we banned it there would be boxing matches continued in secret without all the benefits to healthcare that they currently have..... so maybe better controlled that not!
I am not brave, if I am wrong I am wrong, and it would be letting myself down if I didn't admit the fact.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Maybe I was wrong about Clay, I only saw the unpleasant side of him. However, he does appear to have done some good too.

I still think boxing is a very unpleasant, dangerous activity, which should be banned as the purpose is to knock the opponent out!
I'm not sure the knock out is the sole purpose,amateur fights are invariably decided on points,only going three rounds.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
I'm not sure the knock out is the sole purpose,amateur fights are invariably decided on points,only going three rounds.
But it often results in injuries, sometimes brain damage.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
But it often results in injuries, sometimes brain damage.
Climbing Everest is another but no one ever suggests banning it.
There's got to be free choice surely?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Cassius Clay, aka Mohammed Ali.

Now deceased, so sad.

My father admired him greatly, he died of Parkinson's and Ali was kind enough to send him a very personal message of support.

I will miss him
A fighter to the end, a lovely and very principled man.

The World has suffered a great loss, it would be good to see someone take his place.
Hi

I started this thread as a tribute, there was absolutely no intention to cause a fuss or to disrespect him in any way.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 02:46 PM

While not a fan of boxing (or any form of violence) I can appreciate the role boxing ( a form of monitored and controlled violence) has played in channeling the aggressive behaviour of some young people who needed an outlet for that violence which wasn't antisocial.

People like Mohammed Ali have acted as a role model to many young people and helped to keep them away from the kind of violence that takes place in gangs on the streets.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

05-06-2016, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Climbing Everest is another but no one ever suggests banning it.
There's got to be free choice surely?
Oh come on there is a BIG difference between the deliberate violence of boxing, and having an accident when climbing etc.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
.... he was also a draft dodger.
He was convicted of draft evasion, sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and banned from boxing for three years. He avoided the prison term after an appeal.
There are those who couldn't escape military service, served in Vietnam, who still see that as an abuse of his position.

And there are those who see him as an ambassador for Human Rights.
I thought him to be a great boxer. I rather liked the guy but no one is perfection personified.
I'm sure nobody is suggesting he was 'perfect', Morty (or do you absolutely insist on 'Morticia' ?).

I don't see him as a 'draft-dodger' for one second.
They were the ones who took of for Canada or hid under a rock somewhere.
He had the courage to stand up and say
"I will not go off killing and maiming people, including women and children, who pose absolutely no threat whatever to my country".

And he paid a price for that moral stand.

Perhaps if more Americans had done exactly that in recent times, we would be in far less of a mess in the Middle East and elsewhere.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 04:58 PM

First f all Ali was a great man as well as a boxer.

BUT his fight against Floyd Patterson was that of a nasty bully.

Ok he had contempt for Patterson/ Liston and a couple other Black Boxers, He called them Uncle Toms and he was right to.

The Fight with Patterson he had him beaten in round three but then mental destroyed him in the next 3 rounds by asking every time he softly hit him "Whats my name"

Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top