Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 01:58 PM

A little lost I think

As I parked the car under a tree yesterday I heard frantic chattering, I looked up and there was this little chap. He seemed rather lost and unsure which branches to jump to. There were no other trees he could jump to without coming down and running across the carpark or across the road. I felt so sorry for him, he really seemed distressed. He had probably run up the tree out of the way of a feral cat, there are a few that live around the area.

MrsD
midlands uk
MrsD is female  MrsD has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 03:17 PM

Re: A little lost I think

What is it? At first glance I thought it was a Rabbit , but rabbits don't climb trees , and then when I looked at the second picture I thought it looked like a Squirrel but it looks far to big to be that .. Is it a tame animal or wild ?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MrsD ->
What is it? At first glance I thought it was a Rabbit , but rabbits don't climb trees , and then when I looked at the second picture I thought it looked like a Squirrel but it looks far to big to be that .. Is it a tame animal or wild ?
To be honest I am somewhat unsure of what they are exactly. Around here they are referred to as edible dormice, but I don't think they are. Neither are they like the grey and red squirrels of which there are many. The one in the photo is just a baby, the adult ones are much bigger. Also they often lay across a branch with their big bushy tails hanging down. They live mainly in the fir and palm trees and they don't seem to mind people really, often seen in gardens or sitting on a wall. Perhaps some type of squirrel but certainly not the normal ones.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 07:29 PM

Certainly a wierd creature Loretta, but quite a beautiful animal. Hopefully someone can enlighten us....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 08:04 PM

It's very sweet Loretta it looks like a red squirrel to me...
like this one..
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2012, 08:10 PM

Looks like a squirrel to me too.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

30-12-2012, 08:27 PM

Yes I agree it does look very similar but these creatures always have white faces and grow much bigger than the regular squirrels, they don't appear to mix with the other squirrels either, but I'm sure they must be some kind of squirrel.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2013, 12:22 AM

It doesn't look like a regular squirrel to me, to be honest because squirrels tend to be more squat, and that look like it has a longish body, and it appears to have more white on it's body. Pity we can't see the front paws.

Loretta, can you print your photo and ask at your nearest vet or animal shelter, as they might know what it is?

It could be a cross-breed of some sort but I'm no expert on wildlife.

I'd love to know what it is.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2013, 12:31 AM

It surely must be a cross bred squirrel of some sort.......I had a lovely tortoishell cat with colouring like that mix that with a red squirrel and what do you get? I would love to know the answer!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2013, 12:37 AM

Here's a brown and white marked squirrel that appears to be older than the one in your photos, Loretta .... a slight similarity maybe?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top