Join for free
Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 12:39 PM

Re: Plastic Bags go up to 10p

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I always reused plastic carrier bags to line the kitchen bin but now that I rarely get them, I have to buy a roll of bin liners instead. There's no getting away from the fact that we will never be plastic free, it is far too useful. Obviously we need to stop it ending up in the sea but charging 10p will not achieve that. Even the weekly recycling requires certain things like electrical goods to be wrapped in a plastic bag and things like nappies need to be double wrapped in a plastic bag. So, it can't be recycled but it goes with the recycling???

I'm sure most councils couldn't really give a stuff about recycling and just go through the motions, doing as little as they can get away with.
Ours certainly does. They haven't collected our bin for over three weeks now.

I think they only do this nonsense because they receive a hand-out from the EU!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ours certainly does. They haven't collected our bin for over three weeks now.

I think they only do this nonsense because they receive a hand-out from the EU!
Pathetic isn't it. Ours has been three-weekly for about a year now. Mind you, I do enjoy watching the dustmen trying to move three week's worth of cat litter.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 02:02 PM

plastic bags are a real danger to wild life turtles especially often eat them as they think they are jelly fish ,

So do whales .

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46275742
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I always reused plastic carrier bags to line the kitchen bin but now that I rarely get them, I have to buy a roll of bin liners instead. There's no getting away from the fact that we will never be plastic free, it is far too useful. Obviously we need to stop it ending up in the sea but charging 10p will not achieve that. Even the weekly recycling requires certain things like electrical goods to be wrapped in a plastic bag and things like nappies need to be double wrapped in a plastic bag. So, it can't be recycled but it goes with the recycling???

I'm sure most councils couldn't really give a stuff about recycling and just go through the motions, doing as little as they can get away with.
I do believe that councils have to pay a penalty for every ton of landfill Longdogs, so they are encouraged to recycle waste. And I believe the penalty is imposed by the EU....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
plastic bags are a real danger to wild life turtles especially often eat them as they think they are jelly fish ,

So do whales .

I think we all agree with this, Mud, but I say again it is the irresponsible disposal of plastic bags that is the problem. The plastic bags themselves serve a very useful purpose, as do all other forms of plastic. It is a particularly useful material.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 02:34 PM

What sort of thing would you describe as dense plastic ?
If you put a piece of it in water and it sinks, it is more dense than water.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-12-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I do believe that councils have to pay a penalty for every ton of landfill Longdogs, so they are encouraged to recycle waste. And I believe the penalty is imposed by the EU....
I remember many years ago, at college, learning about recycling. There, as I recall, many forms of automatic recycling machines that can sort through waste of all types and can pick out and divert certain materials.

The more obvious ones are metals of different kind (magnetic and non-magnetic), glass, paper, etc., which are easily identified and can be directed to different destinations for treatment.

Householders (at least around here) are obliged to begin this sorting and I assume that councils complete the process themselves.

It is the recycling that matters: what to do with all of that glass, steel, etc.

I have heard that some glass, for example, "cannot be recycled". Why not?

I wonder how much of that is "cannot" and not "can't be bothered"!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
If you put a piece of it in water and it sinks, it is more dense than water.

Thank you .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 02:47 PM

So do whales .

No one disagrees with that what we need to do is stop putting it in the sea. That's the answer.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 03:00 PM

Won't bother me as I keep my own shopping bags in the car these days, it's been a long time since I needed to buy one..

Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top