Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
CindyM
New Member!
Sydney, Australia
CindyM is female 

06-09-2018, 08:41 AM

Re: What's better....fat free or full fat dairy products

Thanks everyone, that's really useful. I think I'll stick to full fat as for me, sugar is worse. I'll need to look at the make up of my cholesterol (thanks OldGreyFox) although it is higher than 4.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
[b]

BrattiYou also have a very informative post there. I love hearing about things that have to do with becoming healthier as I plan on living to be 100 years old and I want to be active the whole time..... (with purple and silver hair)
I believe you could do just about anything if you put your mind to it Blue. I honestly do! Go for the purple and silver HAIR but I want to see pictures of course.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 10:58 AM

Yes i have returned to full fat products like yogurt and butter, as latest evidence has ben they are better for you.
Jaybay
New Member!
Nottingham, UK
Jaybay is female 

08-09-2018, 05:41 PM

I eat full fat everything. My cholesterol is high but it was the same before I started with full fat. I don’t eat many carbs and no sugar at all. I read that as you get older your brain requires the LDLs and that’s what statins lower. So I eat full fat and don’t take the statins.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 11:18 AM

I have eaten low fat for most of my adult life. This is the result of the 80s health fad influence on my teen mind. I also gave up three sugars in tea at the same time and don't regret that.

So it's skim milk and very little butter. Rarely cream. When I started to cook with butter for a couple of years my cholesterol went up over the normal limit. Since I stopped that it's gone back to normal. I eat some fatty food so I think limiting the fat in dairy kind of balances it.

Everyone is different. What works for some doesn't suit everyone. So if you feel good eating full fat then it's right for you. I don't, I worry about diabetes which is in the family. Also I think full fat promotes cellulite.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I have eaten low fat for most of my adult life. This is the result of the 80s health fad influence on my teen mind. I also gave up three sugars in tea at the same time and don't regret that.

So it's skim milk and very little butter. Rarely cream. When I started to cook with butter for a couple of years my cholesterol went up over the normal limit. Since I stopped that it's gone back to normal. I eat some fatty food so I think limiting the fat in dairy kind of balances it.

Everyone is different. What works for some doesn't suit everyone. So if you feel good eating full fat then it's right for you. I don't, I worry about diabetes which is in the family. Also I think full fat promotes cellulite.
Yes Annie, it's best not to go mad with the full fat stuff, I use semi skimmed milk on my porridge and in my tea and the other day I bought full fat milk to give it a try, and to be honest, the only time I noticed the difference is when I poured and drank a nice cool glass of milk. The full fat milk tasted rich and creamy....Yum Yum....

I also dropped from three teaspoons of sugar in my tea back in the eighties, but I still have one in there now.....I do tend to eat plenty of carbs though, but I try to keep them complex....Potatoes, bread and pasta.....not too many cakes and biscuits....

Well done with the Statins Jaybay, the amount of friends and neighbours that I've heard horror stories about who were on statins include muscle decay and aching joints is frightening.....If you value your mobility, stay off the statins....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 04:41 PM

I never buy full fat milk these days. I got used to semi-skimmed years ago. A lot of the time for cereals I use the Alpro unsweetened, almond or coconut. I use butter for cooking or spreading on toast, etc. (prefer it to the spreads), but quite often I prefer the spreading cheeses like Laughing Cow. Never take sugar in tea of coffee (can't drink it sweetened). These are not forced choices, I genuinely prefer them. I still eat chocolate and have quite a taste for the yoghurts in all variety as long as they are very fruity or the completely plain set ones. All things said I think a little of what you fancy.... and don't have any burning desire to keep to fat free dairy stuff.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top