Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 12:10 PM

Vitamin Supplements

Do you think it's actually worth taking vitamin tablets.

I've had problems with the muscles of my eyes causing me to have double vision, and the opticians has said to take vitamin D tablets.

I have bought some from Boots but don't know if I'm actually wasting my time.

Do you take vitamin supplements and do you think they help?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 12:25 PM

Re: Vitamin Supplements

Hi MC I have never been a fan of vitamin supplements thinking a good diet is all that is required until I began having problems with pain in my back and legs last November and a slowly declining mobility over the winter.
Blood test revealed I was severely deficient in vitamin D and I was told it would take 6 months to make good the deficency .
I have been taking a suppliment for 10 weeks and have started to see an improvement.
So if you are taking vitamine D don't expect any quick results . The type of vitamin D is important too, I was told by my GP it should be D3 .

I get some on prescription from the doctors, 800iu a day and they are the same type as these..
https://shop.thorntonross.com/produc...m-capsules-p59
which I have been buying myself to provide a 'loaded dose' for the first 10 weeks.

My GP says everyone over 65 in the UK should take vitamine D.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 12:58 PM

I take Vit D, but Doctors orders, he put me on them so I don't pay for them.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 02:01 PM

I use a Vitamin D oral spray (D3) once a day.
It's supposed to be more easily absorbed in spray form.

You can buy them in Health shops. Made by BetterYou.

I do sometimes take extra Vitamin C, but no idea if it helps or not.
I eat loads of vegetables, so although it's unlikely that I'm deficient in any others, I suppose it depends on how well your body takes up the vitamins in the gut.

A lot of the vitamins on sale, though, are worse than useless, usually because they're in the wrong form for good absorbancy, and other vits or minerals really need to be taken along with other things for maximum effect.

What I really do swear by though, if you have any gut problems, is taking a really good probiotic and also Milk Thistle extract (both as capsules).

I have been amazed at the improvement in my gut function.

(Only one make of probiotic did this for me, though.......I had to try several before I found one that worked. Needless to say, it wasn't cheap).
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 04:43 PM

I had best to and check on those Boots Vitamin D I bought to find out what they are.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I had best to and check on those Boots Vitamin D I bought to find out what they are.
Googling Boots products it looks like most are D3 so you are probably ok.

Even so I would still seek to get your D3 from sunlight and oily fish predominantly.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 06:20 PM

Yes I do and yes I do.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 07:22 AM

I once cured a constant twitch in my eye by feeding the nerve with brewers yeast tablets..
Cache
East Anglia
Cache is female  Cache has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 07:49 PM

Cod liver oil, and vitamin B supplements occasionally.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Googling Boots products it looks like most are D3 so you are probably ok.

Even so I would still seek to get your D3 from sunlight and oily fish predominantly.
I’m about to ask my GP for a blood test re Vit D levels .
Not sure if oily fish in cans is useful ?
I can’t bear to look at raw tuna let alone cook and eat it .
Are there fish oil caps to take that don’t come back on you taste wise ?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top