Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 06:04 PM

The Single Market . . . A Huge Non Event!

The Single Market isn’t delivering the goods

https://briefingsforbrexit.com/the-s...ing-the-goods/

"Professor David Blake examines economic performance in the EU and discovers that trend growth in traded goods actually declined after the Single Market was launched on 1 January 1993

Post Segments
1. Trend growth in traded goods declined
2. Trend growth in traded services barely changed
3. The Single Market is a giant economic non-event"

Read on . . . .

Another reason to get out of the EU cesspit.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 07:14 PM

Re: The Single Market . . . A Huge Non Event!

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The Single Market isn’t delivering the goods

https://briefingsforbrexit.com/the-s...ing-the-goods/

"Professor David Blake examines economic performance in the EU and discovers that trend growth in traded goods actually declined after the Single Market was launched on 1 January 1993

Post Segments
1. Trend growth in traded goods declined
2. Trend growth in traded services barely changed
3. The Single Market is a giant economic non-event"

Read on . . . .

Another reason to get out of the EU cesspit.

Now that’s a difficult one, do I trust a pensions expert who’s impartiality is on par with Patrick Minford’s or do I trust the numerous trade experts who disagree with his fingerings?

I know,I think like any sensible person I’d kick the pensions guy into the long grass
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Now that’s a difficult one, do I trust a pensions expert who’s impartiality is on par with Patrick Minford’s or do I trust the numerous trade experts who disagree with his fingerings?

I know,I think like any sensible person I’d kick the pensions guy into the long grass
According to the EU Parliamentary documents the UK is the least integrated with the Single Market anyway so we benefit least from it.

How's that for a waste of about 10 billion quid a year
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
According to the EU Parliamentary documents the UK is the least integrated with the Single Market anyway so we benefit least from it.

How's that for a waste of about 10 billion quid a year

Yes you are right, the UK probably does waste at least £10 billion of potential revenue opportunities by being the least integrated with the single market but nevertheless revenue generated by the access mor than offsets the cost, particularly with the access afforded by passporting rights
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 05:37 AM

Yes you are right, the UK probably does waste at least £10 billion of potential revenue opportunities by being the least integrated with the single market but nevertheless revenue generated by the access mor than offsets the cost, particularly with the access afforded by passporting rights

Access ???

We don't have to pay for access to the rest of the world ? Canada, South Korea and Japan don't have to pay for access to the EU why on earth should we ?

What benefits are we paying for ?

As for passporting rights I would much prefer a few hundred employees paid for by the banks they represent to operate in member states, than the tax payer paying 10 billion a year for it. In fact our financial services are a benefit we let the EU have not the other way around.
Banchory
Kent

14-08-2019, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Access ???

We don't have to pay for access to the rest of the world ? Canada, South Korea and Japan don't have to pay for access to the EU why on earth should we ?

What benefits are we paying for ?

As for passporting rights I would much prefer a few hundred employees paid for by the banks they represent to operate in member states, than the tax payer paying 10 billion a year for it. In fact our financial services are a benefit we let the EU have not the other way around.
So you’re advocating moving jobs to Europe and losing all the Tax revenue generated by selling financial services to Europe

Why do you think that will make us better off?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

14-08-2019, 08:14 AM

So you’re advocating moving jobs to Europe and losing all the Tax revenue generated by selling financial services to Europe

A few hundred jobs for the banks moved to Europe and paid for by the banks is better than tax payers money to the tune of 10 billion for passporting rights is a no brainer.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 01:54 PM

The quoted research just states a fact. In your 40+ years of membership you failed to integrate optimally, so the revenues are sub-optimal. Instead of chosing for optimal use of the possibilities, you chose to stop using them altogether. Some defend that as the wisest choice.
Do you say the same to pupils students (your children) who fail their exams? Just give up, it's the school's fault. Or do you tell them to get their act together and work instead of partying?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 02:10 PM

July 10 I provided this link (the thread "UK benefits least" by jbr): https://ec.europa.eu/internal_market...x_en.htm#trade
In it there is noted:
In 2017, the*UK’s share of intra-EU*FDI*inflows showed the second highest decrease in the*EU, while the increase in its share of outflows was the highest in the*EU. Its shares of intra-EU*FDI*inward and outward stocks decreased.
And
In 2017, the*UK*showed the third highest increase in share of extra*EU*FDI*inflows in the*EU, and the second highest increase in share of outflows. Its shares of extra-EU*FDI*inward and outward stocks decreased.

In other words, investors and their money is leaving the UK for the EU.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

14-08-2019, 04:12 PM

I'm advocating the banks paying for their employees to move to EU countries to ensure passporting can be maintain in the case of a no-deal Brexit.

We are talking about a few hundred jobs - mainly admin and HR, nothing to write home about - there are thousands and thousands (and thousands) of financial sector workers in London alone.

Who said we would lose Tax revenue by moving a few hundred workers to the EU to maintain continuity ? That doesn't make sense, the financial trading and sales etc are still done here.

The alternative (as I mentioned before) is for us to remain in the EU and pay 10 billion + a year of tax payers money to be a member of it and in return have the least integration of all 28 member states of the single market.

Its not rocket surgery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top