Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Luggage and Packing

It's time for new luggage and packing for the big trip. This is the kind of spending I suffer over to some degree.

Are you a light or heavy packer?

Do you check much luggage? Worry about the wheels if so?

Have a nightmare story?

My favorite:

At one baggage claim in which the luggage came down a conveyor belt from the ceiling, I witnessed a disaster.

While 300 people watched for their luggage, one suitcase had unfortunately come open. Undergarments, and nightwear copiously spilled from the bag as if the bag had exploded. As the mess descended from above, people laughed uproariously while others mumbled, "The but by the grace of God go I." Above the din, one lone shriek could be heard from the back of the crowd, but the poor soul wasn't brave enough to come forward to claim her bag.

A curious lot we humans are; people stared as if they had never seen (quite sizable, I must add,) lingerie before - as it went around, and around, and around...

By the time near everyone had left, that lonely bag and all its contents were still there.

I imagine that woman is still there hiding behind a nearby column, wearing sunglasses, and waiting for every last soul to vacate the airport before getting the nerve up to claim the strewn mess.

I would appreciate luggage recommendations too, just please make sure that the zippers are tried and tested.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 06:26 PM

Re: Luggage and Packing

Hi Surfermom
That poor woman!!
How exciting for you as your trip approaches though

One thing I was shown and recommended before my first 'cabin case only" budget flight was the fold and roll style packing.
It"s dificult to explain but I think YouTube would have videos on it. It saves loads of space!
And make it a capsule wardrobe.. everything to match everything... including only 2 pairs of sandals/trainers (you'll be wearing the third pair to travel!)

The humble sarong is a must
It makes a bathing cover up, a skirt, a dress, a scarf, a wrap and even sun protection for your head should you need it!
I even tied one up into a back pack once It was most comfortable
I have two.. one pale creams, sands and khakis, one black with warm tie-dye patterns bleached in to it
I never go on holiday without both
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
It's time for new luggage and packing for the big trip. This is the kind of spending I suffer over to some degree.

Are you a light or heavy packer?

Do you check much luggage? Worry about the wheels if so?

I think I am a light packer my luggage is never more than 13kg including hand carry, computer and gifts.

My philosophy is that whether you are going for a week or three months you need the same amount of clothing. Less than a week is carry on luggage only.

Where ever you go are always Op shops or (in Asia) clothing is so cheap that you can buy it to throw away.

My case is getting older but it only has two wheels which are from roller blades and replaceable, I don't like the current 4 wheel cases they don't look like you could roll them over cobbles for example. It is supposedly 'cabin' luggage but it weighs about 2.3kg before you put anything in it.

These are my usual travelling companions:

The back pack fits under the seat in front on the plane. As I say the most they have ever weighed is 13kg together.

The case below I bought from America (it was pricey too) and is brilliant when you are only going for a week or less because it is the 'legal' size for carry on luggage with any airline, you can fit quite a bit in it and, having no wheels or metal, is easy to stay within the 7kg carry on limit.

All my t shirts and undies are rolled together which makes them easier to pack (I keep them at home the same way).

Three days clothes is the minimum in my opinion because you can wash the previous days clothes and still have one set spare for emergencies but if I am taking a suitcase I aim to take six days worth because they take up little room - six days worth of clothing only half fills my suitcase ( six each iof - T shirts, undies, shorts and socks plus a pair of thongs - flip flops to you).

I also have a jacket with masses of pockets for tablets, phones, spec case, wallet, cameras etc (again from the USA) Great for going through security because you keep everything in its zip pockets and take it off to be xrayed leaving nothing in your pockets. Unfortunately I seem to always forget my watch which sets the scanner off anyway!

BTW I try to avoid black bags because 95% on the carousel are black bags! However it I was forced to buy a black bag I would buy some fluorescent paint and spray paint it.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	08-09-14 Luggage 014.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	10320   Click image for larger version

Name:	004 Case Contents 16-04-10.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	10321  
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 05:15 AM

Rhian, I have never done much rolling, but might give it a go! I tend to travel with clothing that doesn't need to be ironed and can be hand washed. Have you ever tried packing cubes? The tricky thing about this trip is that there will be hiking gear to evening gowns involved. Now how do I pack for that and everything in between? It's going to be interesting, for sure.

You are speaking to a member of the religion when it comes to sarongs! Yours sound very pretty and functional. They are by far my favorite beach coverup and they take up absolutely no room whatsoever. My favorite is a blue/coral batik.

Bruce, that's a perfect setup. I like to think that I have packing down to a science, with only a two-wheeled carryon and either a backpack, for more outdoor adventures, or a weekender bag. I like the weekender because it has a trolley sleeve that slips over the handle of the suitcase and sits on top of it. This time I am having to check a large suitcase too that will have hiking boots, high heels, a beaded evening gown, a puffer jacket...well, you get the idea .

I am in complete agreement with you about two vs. four wheels. I have finally settled on a set that has a lifetime guarantee on wheels because, as you mentioned, there will be cobblestones, curbs, and cracks involved. I've seen the way baggage handlers sling bags, and I can't imagine those plastic 360º wheels would last too long.

That idea about the coat carrying all of your things in a jacket. Good thinking!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 05:53 AM

Hi

Pack much less than you think you need.

Just the essentials, the $ is good at the moment.

Knickers and bras, the essentials.

Shopping is fun, a good day out.

Forget the Surfer gear, much more expensive over here.

Casual stuff, Levis etc cost a mint here.

High end stuff costs a fraction of what it costs in the USA.

Avoid the Tourist traps.

Not just the UK.

A cup of Coffee is a third of the cost 120 yards from the Louvre in Paris.

The best coffee and cake you will get in Rome is in an amazing Piazza at the back of the Parliament, stunningly beautiful.

You would will welcome here where I live.

Good enough for Harrison Ford to spend his holidays here and no hassle at all.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 11:17 AM

If one packs correctly the "Bursting open" scenario should never happen.

As you are going on a cruise I will offer some practical tips for cruise packing.

1. Always always strap your cases no matter what size they are. Never rely on zips and clasps as they are not reliable. Buy strong straps like seat belt material and strap cases both vertically and horizontally.

2. If straps have "clunk click" fasteners at each end then use long cable ties to secure them in place. These plastic clunk click fasteners are weak and will pull open with force and heavy handling so cable ties are essential. You can cut the ties off with nail clippers once baggage reaches your cabin.

3. Print an A4 sheet of paper for each piece of luggage you are sending down. On that paper put the ship name, cruise number, your cabin number, your name and a mobile phone number. If your case gets lost (luggage labels rip off etc) then if someone opens it up they will know where to send it.

4. Split your clothes evenly between different cases
By this I mean don't put all dresses or all underwear in one case. Assume one case might go missing. So be sure to have some of everything in any given case so you can easily cope until the first port where you can buy more clothes

5. If you have space, pack some thin hangars as there are never enough in a cabin.

6. Leave dresses on their hangars and simply roll them up and put in the case. This will prevent them being badly creased.

7. Secure any liquids or creams in sealed plastic bags. E.g. shampoos, body creams, perfumes etc. Port handlers are rough with baggage and cases can be stacked 10 high which is massive weight if your case is on the bottom.

8. When cruising choose really bright luggage. Ideally bright yellow or pink for ladies. At the end of the cruise you will find your cases amongst the 1000s of others extremely easily and quickly. Black, brown or gret cases are a nightmare to find. 90% of people have them.

9. Buy bright colored strapping or ribbon and tie loops of it to your luggage handles. This will make it easier to find your cases amongst 1000s of others.

10. If space is tight, put small items inside your shoes to utilise that lost space.

11. Secure all case zippers with padlocks. Padlocks are by no means secure (I could get into just about any padlock in seconds) but they might deter a thief enough to go for a case without padlocks.

12. Always pack some smaller bags in your case about the same width as your case. The kind of bag that will sit on top of your case and slide over the carry handle. You will likely buy souvenirs and other things during your trip and may need this extra space to carry them home.

The above should see you have trouble free cruising.

Best
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 11:24 AM

In terms of luggage selection I would spend more to get a good long lasting set than go for cheap crap. Delsey and Samsonite cases are strong. You'll be aware of "American Tourist" which I think is a subsidiary of Samsonite.

I personally favour hard shell cases over soft fabric. Your cases are going to get stacked beneath possibly 10 others on the ship port. That's alot of weight so soft fabric ones will easily squash and buckle and thus have weight on what ever is inside. That could burst bottles of shampoo, sun cream etc.

As stated above, go for the brightest most gaudie colors you can get. It will pay dividends at the end of the cruise and see you glide through customs quickly whilst all the other muppets are frantically searching for their bags amongst 1000s of others of the same colour.

Examples:

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 11:37 AM

Hi

Travelling with offspring is very different to travelling just as a couple or on a Cruise.

Ignore Realist and his conspiracy theories, he does not have kids.

Take the minimum, enjoy the shopping and bring back more than you take

The things your kids buy are precious to them, a reminder of a fantastic trip.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

That idea about the coat carrying all of your things in a jacket. Good thinking!
The place I got the jacket was in the US:

https://www.scottevest.com/

I remember the postage to Australia was a bit over the top but so glad I bought it - especially when you have carry on luggage only because all the heavy stuff fits in the jacket (tablet, netbook, phone, mp3 player etc) and YOU are never weighed.

It was many years ago but it has only been used on flights so hardly worn out, great for the tropics because the sleeves come off and it is very lightweight. In those days it only came in black and beige and mine wasn't RFID blocking either. I think this is the equivalent model now and I know there are women's styles too. I like a looser fitting than they show too otherwise loaded with stuff you would look and feel like a parcel.

https://www.scottevest.com/shop/mens...cket-men.shtml

The tri star bag came from the US too

https://www.tombihn.com/products/tri...nt=41947923719

I knew it was expensive but I don't remember it being that expensive though that model seems far more sophisticated than mine - for example mine only has two external pockets. Mine was the first carry on they came out with and I think it was about $120 but it was many years ago. I have never been queried about taking it in the cabin and it fits under the seat in front (I hate using the overhead lockers).

The great thing is that full with clothes it is still only 7kg, that and the jacket are perfect for short trips with carry on only.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

22-07-2019, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Pack much less than you think you need.

Just the essentials, the $ is good at the moment.
Absolutely agree. My old man used to say, "Pack the minimum that you think you will need then take half out." Not bad advice as it happens.

There are always opportunities to buy extra clothes cheaply if you do find yourself short.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top