Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 12:36 PM

Re: Would You Use Garlic Grown In China?

In principle I would buy local grown but if all they had was Chinese I can't for life of me think of a reason not to do so. It's not like they can be cruel to garlic I am aware where I buy meat and stuff from as I try to buy from more humane sources.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 12:44 PM

But surely EU regulations and standards protect us from harm.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Not if the produce / item doesn't originate from an EU country they don't. I know this is not a Brexit thread but when that is (eventually) sorted it's about time we ALL started shopping for goods / produce grown or made in our own country. Or even before it's sorted out. No point at all in shipping stuff from halfway round the world when we are shipping our own produce the same distance. Our home-reared lamb and that from New Zealand being prime examples of this complete madness.

Maybe we will not be able to enjoy 'out of season' produce but who cares. We all lived without that 'luxury' one time and nobody starved! Back to basics I reckon might just be a good idea!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 01:03 PM

It's not just growing our own we need to learn to eat our own as one of the arguments we cannot be self sufficient is we have to send many meat cuts to countries where they eat them as we don't want them. So yes grow our own but how do we address people not eating our own ?
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 01:26 PM

This matter would not arise, in my case. I hate garlic - it just makes me feel sick.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

20-09-2019, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
This matter would not arise, in my case. I hate garlic - it just makes me feel sick.
My husband isn't keen either I have to slip it into meals and pretend it's not there not easy when I love whole cloves roasted !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
In the US, it's become cheaper and easier to import garlic from places like China. Unfortunately, China isn't as stringent with its safety regulations. Reports run rampant of garlic bleached in chlorine, fumigated in pesticides, grown in untreated sewage water, and even contaminated with lead.
Quite!

I prefer quality local produce - every time. Even if it is a little more expensive. If you pay for cheap and tasteless - that is what you'll be given.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 04:34 PM

What did we do before the EU took over our quality control Ray?

I don't think we'll turn into a country that lets our citizens eat halal and sub standard products.........Oh! wait a minute.....we do....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Not if the produce / item doesn't originate from an EU country they don't. I know this is not a Brexit thread but when that is (eventually) sorted it's about time we ALL started shopping for goods / produce grown or made in our own country. Or even before it's sorted out. No point at all in shipping stuff from halfway round the world when we are shipping our own produce the same distance. Our home-reared lamb and that from New Zealand being prime examples of this complete madness.

Maybe we will not be able to enjoy 'out of season' produce but who cares. We all lived without that 'luxury' one time and nobody starved! Back to basics I reckon might just be a good idea!
Yep this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
What did we do before the EU took over our quality control Ray?

I don't think we'll turn into a country that lets our citizens eat halal and sub standard products.........Oh! wait a minute.....we do....

Sarcasm doesn't always work on t'internet.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top