Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

14-10-2019, 08:02 PM

Re: Prison sentences for animal cruelty raised

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Not exactly. I would not be punishing anyone; a judge would, and hence the state.

When a judge sends someone to jail, does that necessitate the judge being sent to jail too?

As for hanging, there has been much debate on here about its effectiveness and claims that murder-rate was higher in Victorian days than it is today not only remain to be justified, but we must add to the argument that many people were desperately poor and hungry in those days, sometimes driving them to commit murder.

Also, I have shown elsewhere (I think it was on Facebook) that murder has increased enormously in London since hanging was stopped in the 1960s. Interestingly, it was a graph provided by an opponent to capital punishment that I used!

Yes, you say a Judge would be passing sentence, which is the correct procedure.

However, when I first spoke about hypocrisy, it was because someone called Bratti spoke about killing people who harmed animals or children, herself. That cannot be right - as it is punishing someone by doing exactly that which you are punishing them for.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Katerina ->
Yes, you say a Judge would be passing sentence, which is the correct procedure.

However, when I first spoke about hypocrisy, it was because someone called Bratti spoke about killing people who harmed animals or children, herself. That cannot be right - as it is punishing someone by doing exactly that which you are punishing them for.
Yes, a life for a life.

Unless, of course you believe that animals have fewer rights to life than humans.

But where do you draw the line? Swat a fly and be struck yourself?
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

14-10-2019, 08:12 PM

Yes, a life for a life.

Unless, of course you believe that animals have fewer rights to life than humans.

But where do you draw the line? Swat a fly and be struck yourself?
I certainly think humans are more important than animals.

It is nothing to do with rights. It is a question of the penalties for law-breaking being administered according to the law - not revenge, which is what Bratti was suggesting.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Katerina ->
I certainly think humans are more important than animals.

It is nothing to do with rights. It is a question of the penalties for law-breaking being administered according to the law - not revenge, which is what Bratti was suggesting.
The trouble is that the law is an ass.

Many, if not most, sentences are pointless and are almost tantamount to the criminal being let off completely. The presently popular 'suspended sentences' are a case in point where criminals walk out of court laughing their heads off.

There have been instances of people committing murder and serving only a few years, even months, in jail.

Such things are neither punishments nor deterrents.

If someone murdered my wife, I should certainly want revenge, even if you think that is a naughty word.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

14-10-2019, 08:49 PM

I don't think it is a naughty word. I would simply not want to sink to the same level as that person. That would make me no better than him or her.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I think that if someone commits a crime, no matter against who or what and are given five years then they should serve five years and not let out after, say two, for being good whilst inside.If the crime was serious enough to warrant five years then five years it should be

I certainly agree with that, Ben.

Somebody off his head on drink/drugs smashed my car to smitherins a few years back. It was parked on my own driveway, and he shot right off the road and ended up on my drive. Long story.

Anyway, he was put away for 15 months, but let out in 7.

He murdered a chap next day.

If he had served his full time, maybe the other bloke would still be alive today.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-10-2019, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I certainly agree with that, Ben.

Somebody off his head on drink/drugs smashed my car to smitherins a few years back. It was parked on my own driveway, and he shot right off the road and ended up on my drive. Long story.

Anyway, he was put away for 15 months, but let out in 7.

He murdered a chap next day.

If he had served his full time, maybe the other bloke would still be alive today.
Presumably, he was caught, charged and imprisoned.
He's likely to be out in about seven years and may well go on to murder someone else.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 11:17 PM

Presumably, he was caught, charged and imprisoned.
He's likely to be out in about seven years and may well go on to murder someone else.

I don't know for sure, but I assume he was, JBR.
I read about it in the local paper at the time, and they named him, so obviously knew who it was who did killed the other man.
I recognised his name as the same bloke who had wrecked my car on my driveway.

A very upsetting time it was.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 08:58 AM

Looks like your guardian angel was working overtime when this happened Mups .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

15-10-2019, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Looks like your guardian angel was working overtime when this happened Mups .

Yes, and I am very thankful, Muddy.

Also, if my poor car had not been there and blocked his path, I could have come home and found he had gone straight through my living room wall.
Apart from the obvious property damage, my dogs could have run out in fear too.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top