Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 10:58 AM

Rats in The Garden!

Don't know if it's down to the bird feeders (dropping seed on the floor beneath), or the very strange smelling plants my neighbour has in his Shed (don't ask), but I'm starting to see rats in the garden during the day.

I managed to kill one off, last year, with a poisoned rat trap, but this year not so lucky.

I think the rats are not very big, but they are Strong - I found a dead rat in a trap that had been dragged 5 yards across the patio & under the chairs.

This week a trap has, totally, vanished.

I had 6 traps out there - now there are five.

Didn't have the problem when I had my cat, but I'm a bit old, now, to take on another animal friend.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 11:35 AM

Re: Rats in The Garden!

I stopped feeding the birds in my garden for 6 months due to rats. A pair turned up in daylight any time of day & usually just after I'd fed the birds. They were watching me to see when I put the food out. So I stopped. Started feeding the birds again & no sign of rats yet. Fingers crossed!
Hopefully they have moved on to other peoples gardens.
You can't really ever get rid of them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 11:45 AM

I had the same problem with my neighbours lavish bird table and rats going through my garden to get there.
They have stopped feeding the birds , I guess they noticed the rats.
I feed the birds on a sawn off tree trunk down the lane away from the house.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 12:42 PM

I had rats in my previous garden and would leave a humane trap by the fence every night. I seem to remember I caught five or six in the end and drove each of them to pastures new to set them free.

Strange how one of the traps have disappeared though.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 01:07 PM

I think you will find that it is illegal to release trapped rats back into the wild.
I do know that it is illegal to return trapped grey squirrels back into the wild.
They have to be humanely destroyed. I am almost certain this also applies to rats.
I live in the New Forest and the squirrel thing is one of the by-laws.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 01:41 PM

Because l keep hens, l get rats now and again. Luckily, my Local Authority offers Pest Control to get rid of the rats, for free.
I used to have a bird station and the Pest Control man told me to remove it, as this also was attracting rats. I used to see about three rats at a time at the bottom of it. He also told me to pick up the apples from my Apple trees that were on the ground as they attracted the rats.

Ted, What if you fix the trap to a heavy piece of wood? The trap missing might only have caught part of the rat and it was able to get away with the trap still attached? Or even a fox might have dragged it away to eat the rat?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I think you will find that it is illegal to release trapped rats back into the wild.
I do know that it is illegal to return trapped grey squirrels back into the wild.
They have to be humanely destroyed. I am almost certain this also applies to rats.
I live in the New Forest and the squirrel thing is one of the by-laws.
I did it under the cover of darkness
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Because l keep hens, l get rats now and again. Luckily, my Local Authority offers Pest Control to get rid of the rats, for free.
I used to have a bird station and the Pest Control man told me to remove it, as this also was attracting rats. I used to see about three rats at a time at the bottom of it. He also told me to pick up the apples from my Apple trees that were on the ground as they attracted the rats.

Ted, What if you fix the trap to a heavy piece of wood? The trap missing might only have caught part of the rat and it was able to get away with the trap still attached? Or even a fox might have dragged it away to eat the rat?
That makes sense, maybe something else comes along and carries it all away.

That frightens me as it might mean that my poison could end up in a fox, a deer. a Hedgehog, or whatever.

Won't be putting poison out any more!

Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 02:37 PM

Oh good lord. No rats where we live but we had mice and our biggest contribution to why we had them was the fact that we fed the birds. We had bird feeders everywhere and when birds feed from human feeders they stash food in places for later. This attracts rodents since it’s a permanent food source so they happily move in. Getting rid of the feeders was our biggest mouse deterrent. I would freak if these were rats.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2019, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by tedc ->

that frightens me as it might mean that my poison could end up in a fox, a deer. A hedgehog, or whatever.

Won't be putting poison out any more!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top