Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 10:02 PM

NHS Infected 1000s with HIV Blood

This will be making the headlines for some time.

Possibly 25,000 people or more were given infected blood over a long period. An inquiry begins.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ute-to-victims

"The inquiry will investigate how so many people, some with haemophilia, were given blood plasma from the US carrying HIV, hepatitis C and other viruses. Some products were made from blood donated by prisoners and drug addicts who were paid"

"In a statement read out to the inquiry at Church House in Westminster, those present were told that nearly 3,000 people had died and that the number kept rising. Half of the people with haemophilia who were infected have now died. Young women looking forward to family lives, the statement said, were unknowingly infected by their husbands"

“We want the truth to come out. We want the power of giant pharmaceutical companies over government to end. My life was deemed to be worth less than their profits. There were warnings about these blood products as early as 1958.”
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 10:28 PM

Re: NHS Infected 1000s with HIV Blood

Listening to the news now, the heartbreak this has caused to victims and their families is beyond comprehension. The way victims were treated by NHS after they were diagnosed, like lepers one man's description. His words that this won't end with his death, his children will fight on, a defiant warning that this scandal will not be allowed to be swept away.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 11:19 PM

It's hideous! Those poor people.
It makes you wonder what else has been going on we don't hear about. CJD was another scandal, contaminated growth hormone, wasn't it?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 12:03 AM

Heard an interview on Radio 4 with one of the victims. She said, choking back the tears, that she looked at the happiness of her family and friends who had children, knowing that it was never going to happen for her!!

So poignant.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 12:25 AM

This is terrible I knew this happened in the US I didn't know it happened here .
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
This is terrible I knew this happened in the US I didn't know it happened here .
It was reported here at the time but massive played down.

They blamed small bad lot of blood imported from the USA.

At the time in the US people were paid if they give blood.

So all the druggies and other infected people denoted their blood for money.
and at the time no checks were carried out.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 07:13 AM

Surely it can't be true that they paid US prisoners for their blood ? The US would not allow blood given by prisoners but for some reason we did?

It's peculiar I wonder why they did that surely blood was available nearer home for one thing possibly even from our own prisons...not that I'm advocating that....it's just I would be interested to know the rationale behind that decision.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Surely it can't be true that they paid US prisoners for their blood ? The US would not allow blood given by prisoners but for some reason we did?

It's peculiar I wonder why they did that surely blood was available nearer home for one thing possibly even from our own prisons...not that I'm advocating that....it's just I would be interested to know the rationale behind that decision.
Who said anything about Prisoners.??????

This debacle was caused by infected blood from America.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Who said anything about Prisoners.??????
I read it Galty it said they went into prisons...
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

25-09-2018, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I read it Galty it said they went into prisons...
What's that got to do with are prisons.

Basic fact is the blood was not analyzed and with the American system should never have been bought from that country

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top