Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 10:26 AM

Re: crash course diet

To lose weight and more importantly to maintain the weight loss I have found the answer is not to diet but to make permanent lifestyle change.
I have lost 1.5 stone slowly over 18 months for health reasons and have maintained the weight loss .
I watch family members join slimming groups and try diets and they always put the weight back on.

Lifestyle changes include eating small healthy home cooked meals , having my main meal at lunch time so I am active after the meal, little or no alcohol, daily walking fast enough to be able to talk but not sing
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by meg ->
to lose weight and more importantly to maintain the weight loss i have found the answer is not to diet but to make permanent lifestyle change.
I have lost 1.5 stone slowly over 18 months for health reasons and have maintained the weight loss .
I watch family members join slimming groups and try diets and they always put the weight back on.

Lifestyle changes include eating small healthy home cooked meals , having my main meal at lunch time so i am active after the meal, little or no alcohol, daily walking fast enough to be able to talk but not sing
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 12:28 PM

Much truth in that Meg

My belief is this

A desire to LOSE WEIGHT stems purely from vanity and the associated feelings of failure, low self confidence and guilt

Vanity is NOT a sound foundation on which to build a life

On the other hand, a desire to simply be HEALTHY, stems from an understanding that the body is merely a 3rd party vessel which allows you to exist and experience this plane of the universe. A desire to be healthy is a sure foundation for living because it recognises that the body is your temple and you live or die according to how it is kept and how it operates.

Anyone who sets out with the idea "I need to lose weight" has sadly misunderstood the situation, and misunderstood it badly.

Losing weight should NEVER be the goal or the focus.

The aim and focus should be to be healthy, to live healthy, to provide the body all that it needs, when it needs it. To understand indeed what it does need and indeed when it needs it.

Those pursuits require education, research, an ability to "listen" to one's body and "hear" when it speaks. It requires the understanding of foods, food types, the perils laid before us in the stores and supermarkets, the evil going on around us in the "war on our health" of which we are ALL victims and the willingness to change permanently to look after the body.

None of this is about losing weight. Losing weight is the wrong goal, the wrong focus, pure vanity and will see you fail time and time and time again.

The pursuit of health and its understanding bring about a whole variety of changes. Loss of weight and body rebalancing are just 2, there is also improved energy levels, improved clarity of thought, better digestion, better blood flow, better everything really!

Bottom line. Forget about weight. Weight is a distraction, a vanity, a dead end. Dieters and slimming club numpties are on the road to ruin, an endless spiral of failure, disappointment and disenchantment that brings with it depression, lack of self confidence, a sense of futility and a resignation that you will always be the way you are and never fit into the clothes you'd like to wear.

We need to throw away vanity, understand who and what we are, which is an ill person who needs healing and take the necessary steps to become well again. Do not look for help with diets and slimming clubs. They will make you even more ill. We must educate ourselves, do the research on foods, make better food choices, go the extra mile to select good ingredients and cook good meals.

Health first.

Get that right and weight loss and all the other by products will follow naturally.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top