Join for free
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 > Last »
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 10:19 AM

Scotland, England and the EU

Got a wee theory about the different attitude we have up here to the EU. We are used to being a small partner in an unequal union. Scotland is the next biggest nation in the U.K. but is still 10 times smaller than England. As a result we will always be outvoted if there is a difference of opinion, we voted remain yet we will leave against the majority wish up here. England, on the other hand , is naturally used
to being the dominant partner and finds it difficult to be a smaller part of a large union like the EU. I don’t think we are any less Scottish despite 300 odd years of union. I’m sure the French don’t feel any less French or the Germans any less German despite the EU. I would like to see an independent Scotland playing its part in Europe but the main point is we would be free to make our own choice as to be a member or not, it’s all about self determination as far as I’m concerned
Just thought I’d throw it out there, hard hat on now!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 11:14 AM

Re: Scotland, England and the EU

lateral and horizontal views are always welcome here weedeek - welcome - just jump in the water is usually not TOO hot!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Have I missed something here, didn't you vote a couple of years ago to remain part of the union, which then voted en block to leave. There were many other areas of Britain that voted to remain as well, but that is democracy surely, win or lose on a personal level but we have to abide by the majority decision, So why now do you think that shouldn't apply to Scotland?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by barry ->
have i missed something here, didn't you vote a couple of years ago to remain part of the union, which then voted en block to leave. There were many other areas of britain that voted to remain as well, but that is democracy surely, win or lose on a personal level but we have to abide by the majority decision, so why now do you think that shouldn't apply to scotland?
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Have I missed something here, didn't you vote a couple of years ago to remain part of the union, which then voted en block to leave. There were many other areas of Britain that voted to remain as well, but that is democracy surely, win or lose on a personal level but we have to abide by the majority decision, So why now do you think that shouldn't apply to Scotland?
I’ve already conceded that we will be leaving the EU. My argument was about the different attitudes to Europe. I wish the independence vote had gone the other way but that’s democracy as you say. Scotland is a country not just an area.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 11:53 AM

Deleted
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 11:55 AM

So Scotland is ten times smaller than England and England is ten times smaller than France or Germany. We are also used to being outvoted when it comes to matters concerning Europe. I think the majority of English want to keep Scotland as part of the union but if Scotland had voted to leave, we would have accepted the result, sad as it would be.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 12:01 PM

Don't waste your time Weedeek, The Scots get shouted down on here all the time, I learned that the hard way as did other Scottish Members. Like you I wanted and still want an Independent Scotland, it would have gone that way too I'm certain, if they had not lied through their teeth and put the pressure on hard with their Project Fear. A lot of the sheep were terrified they would lose their pensions ect. Madness as it's still paid to Ex Pats in Spain and other Countries. Too many relied on the box in their living room and the newspapers, both spouting lie after lie. Only now are the no voters seeing the way they were conned and a lot of minds are changing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

21-08-2018, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Don't waste your time Weedeek, The Scots get shouted down on here all the time, I learned that the hard way as did other Scottish Members. Like you I wanted and still want an Independent Scotland, it would have gone that way too I'm certain, if they had not lied through their teeth and put the pressure on hard with their Project Fear. A lot of the sheep were terrified they would lose their pensions ect. Madness as it's still paid to Ex Pats in Spain and other Countries. Too many relied on the box in their living room and the newspapers, both spouting lie after lie. Only now are the no voters seeing the way they were conned and a lot of minds are changing.
It is sad you feel like that Roxy. I for one love Scotland and it's people. I think it would be a real shame to lose you and if I'm honest, you would probably be better off without England.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It is sad you feel like that Roxy. I for one love Scotland and it's people. I think it would be a real shame to lose you and if I'm honest, you would probably be better off without England.
You know LD long long before the vote, in fact most of my life I felt it was wrong that we were united with England, Wales and Ireland. I remember I got in a lot of trouble at school as I told our History Teacher I wasn't wanting to do English History as Scotland was our Country and we lived here not down over the Boarder. I was told off and told I'd do what I was told. HAH not I. I bunked off that class as often as I could, and refused to do any homework. It got so bad my parents were called in, big mistake lol. My dad's a big Highlander from Mull and it was down to him that I felt the way I did. Teacher left me alone after that..

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top