Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 10:26 PM

Re: Hedgehogs

I saw one in the garden a few weeks ago... he was so big much bigger than I've seen before,
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I saw one in the garden a few weeks ago... he was so big much bigger than I've seen before,
I bet it's a relative of mine summer, mine was HUGE
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I bet it's a relative of mine summer, mine was HUGE
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 10:53 PM

Seeing this thread now has piqued my interest because we've just discovered that we have a resident hedgehog.

We had a great pile of rubbish next to our wood pile and were removing all of that to take to the dump, when Marge discovered an old plastic bag (in which logs were delivered) hiding a sleeping hedgehog. Naturally, we carefully replaced the bag and hoped that the hedgehog might not notice!

I don't know whether it is hibernating yet and in any event, having removed most of its covering we are wondering whether the plastic bag itself will be adequate protection for it when the cold weather comes.

I'd really appreciate some advice from the hedgehog experts on here as to what is best for us to do to help it survive. Would it benefit from more covering?

I already put out a dish of water, but have done that for a while now in case of any wildlife needing it. It is a few yards from the hedgehog, but I assume it would already be aware of it.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Seeing this thread now has piqued my interest because we've just discovered that we have a resident hedgehog.

We had a great pile of rubbish next to our wood pile and were removing all of that to take to the dump, when Marge discovered an old plastic bag (in which logs were delivered) hiding a sleeping hedgehog. Naturally, we carefully replaced the bag and hoped that the hedgehog might not notice!

I don't know whether it is hibernating yet and in any event, having removed most of its covering we are wondering whether the plastic bag itself will be adequate protection for it when the cold weather comes.

I'd really appreciate some advice from the hedgehog experts on here as to what is best for us to do to help it survive. Would it benefit from more covering?

I already put out a dish of water, but have done that for a while now in case of any wildlife needing it. It is a few yards from the hedgehog, but I assume it would already be aware of it.
Ooooh, how lovely finding one asleep. Not sure about the plastic bag though - is he/she in it? .... Hope The Hog is breathing and not.... you know?

I know they say about leaving areas where there are things they can crawl under/in, like leaves/logs that short of thing. And as you probably know, some have the Hog Sheds/Houses etc for them. (home made or bought)

Here's the site Puddle Duck mentioned:

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs

There will be plenty online I would think, with them supposedly being in decline
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 11:19 PM

Just one more point. Apparently, they can hibernate end Sept/October/ November, but that is another problem for them, as they may have gone under piles of wood logs or wherever bonfire wood might be stacked..... No need to say more !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Ooooh, how lovely finding one asleep. Not sure about the plastic bag though - is he/she in it? .... Hope The Hog is breathing and not.... you know?

I know they say about leaving areas where there are things they can crawl under/in, like leaves/logs that short of thing. And as you probably know, some have the Hog Sheds/Houses etc for them. (home made or bought)

Here's the site Puddle Duck mentioned:

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs

There will be plenty online I would think, with them supposedly being in decline
Thanks Pesta.

No, it is still breathing! The plastic bag is not what you might think it is. It is a thick, woven plastic, strong enough to contain logs and is well strong enough to support itself. I am certain that it wouldn't suffocate the hedgehog, but I am concerned that it might not provide enough insulation for it from the cold.

I'll have a good look at your link tomorrow, thanks.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 02:38 AM

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
What a beautiful picture!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-09-2018, 09:49 AM

Further to my last, I think I'll pile some dead leaves over the hedgehog's existing 'home'. That should provide some insulation without much weight.

I'd put some hard cat food down, but our cats would be sure to find it. Probably best to leave them to find their own food, then, but I will keep the water bowl topped up. I use pond water as, like our cats, hedgehogs probably don't like the smell of tap water.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top