Join for free
Page 7 of 20 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 07:26 PM

Re: Non EU countries

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My favourite word, Bollox.

I voted leave, I am no xenophobe.

I am often the only native English speaker in my house.

I do the rent a Room Scheme, I have put up NHS Employees from all over when they first arrive.

My pretendies are Polish.

I have done volunteer work in Refugee Camps, at my own expense.

Put up or shut up Purwell, I am no Racist or Xenophobe at all.
Well said Swims.
Sumkan
New Member!
United Kingdom
Sumkan is male 

17-09-2018, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I think she does understand which is why she wanted us to remain in the EU as that gives us priority access over non EU English speaking countries. What Brexit does is put us behind the other English speaking nations as some of them will have better access to EU markets than we do so we will be next to useless for them, plus we will be losing the financial markets the way we are heading.

As well as this the manufacturing we have is being decimated by the vote. Only yesterday Jaguar Landrover talked of quitting the UK. Only yesterday there was a news report about how wage inflation is starting to creep into our industries because they cannot get workers now East Europeans are leaving.
Doesn't wage inflation mean that actually now our kids will get paid a decent wage instead of £8 an hour or often less,zero hours contracts and not many prospects of ever leaving home .(which by the way I was earning over 20 years ago, yes I am a factory worker).
EU freedom of movement is a con to import cheap Labour from less well off countries so the rich businesses can get richer and we all stay at the bottom of the bucket.
Something radical has to change for our kids sake. Leaving the EU is a radical change. Time to grow a pair and get on with it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by sumkan ->
doesn't wage inflation mean that actually now our kids will get paid a decent wage instead of £8 an hour or often less,zero hours contracts and not many prospects of ever leaving home .(which by the way i was earning over 20 years ago, yes i am a factory worker).
Eu freedom of movement is a con to import cheap labour from less well off countries so the rich businesses can get richer and we all stay at the bottom of the bucket.
Something radical has to change for our kids sake. Leaving the eu is a radical change. Time to grow a pair and get on with it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sumkan ->
Doesn't wage inflation mean that actually now our kids will get paid a decent wage instead of £8 an hour or often less,zero hours contracts and not many prospects of ever leaving home .(which by the way I was earning over 20 years ago, yes I am a factory worker).
EU freedom of movement is a con to import cheap Labour from less well off countries so the rich businesses can get richer and we all stay at the bottom of the bucket.
Something radical has to change for our kids sake. Leaving the EU is a radical change. Time to grow a pair and get on with it.
No that isn't what wage inflation means. Anyone who understands economics will know that if wages go up then prices will follow leading to a lose lose situation as the country becomes less competitive globally. People don't seem to have noticed that our food prices have not rises for about 20 years and clothes and other consumer goods have considerably fallen in price.

Increasing wages just cuts a lot of employers out of the market and you end up worse off than you were before (less choice, fewer jobs, a shrinking economy etc.)
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 10:20 PM

No that isn't what wage inflation means. Anyone who understands economics will know that if wages go up then prices will follow leading to a lose lose situation as the country becomes less competitive globally. People don't seem to have noticed that our food prices have not rises for about 20 years and clothes and other consumer goods have considerably fallen in price.

Increasing wages just cuts a lot of employers out of the market and you end up worse off than you were before (less choice, fewer jobs, a shrinking economy etc.)
It's just a natural progression of society Annie.....
People will always strive to be better off and so expect to be rewarded for their labours with ever increasing wages....But ever increasing wages produce ever more expensive goods....vicious circle.... So in an attempt to keep the price of goods down the labour is provided by third world countries on the so called 'Global Market' which then causes unemployment here....Simples.

Forget the global market and the EU and start to produce all of our needs 'in house'
and be self sufficient. Jobs for everyone!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's just a natural progression of society Annie.....
People will always strive to be better off and so expect to be rewarded for their labours with ever increasing wages....But ever increasing wages produce ever more expensive goods....vicious circle.... So in an attempt to keep the price of goods down the labour is provided by third world countries on the so called 'Global Market' which then causes unemployment here....Simples.

Forget the global market and the EU and start to produce all of our needs 'in house'
and be self sufficient. Jobs for everyone!
Yes it's merely a psychological trick. What we have had in the last 20 years is progression. You have those who are seemingly poorest in society being able to afford a flatscreen tv. Food has been cheap and plentiful. Clothes were really dear when I was a teen. They cost less now than they did then and wages are x times higher.

Your last point doesn't make sense in terms of consumer buying power/choice etc? What you are talking about is a communist state. There is no progression in such a system. So how can anyone be better off?

The current situation has lasted longer than I expected in terms of cheap labour markets. That's because new cheap labour markets are emerging. Is it immoral? No doubt. But what's the alternative? 1984?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

18-09-2018, 08:39 PM

Yes it's merely a psychological trick. What we have had in the last 20 years is progression. You have those who are seemingly poorest in society being able to afford a flatscreen tv. Food has been cheap and plentiful. Clothes were really dear when I was a teen. They cost less now than they did then and wages are x times higher.

Your last point doesn't make sense in terms of consumer buying power/choice etc? What you are talking about is a communist state. There is no progression in such a system. So how can anyone be better off?

The current situation has lasted longer than I expected in terms of cheap labour markets. That's because new cheap labour markets are emerging. Is it immoral? No doubt. But what's the alternative? 1984?
False progression though Annie, when I was nowt' but a lad, people saved up for things, and you had to wait until you had enough money to buy it. Higher purchase was the only way to have it quickly, but most people didn't qualify.

Fast forward fifty years and most expensive things are purchased on credit. And so the poor can afford flat screen TV's, and top of the range mobile phones. Technology has moved so fast recently and everyone believes they have a right to have it, whether they can afford it or not. So we haven't progressed at all, we're just living on borrowed time before it all collapses...
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
False progression though Annie, when I was nowt' but a lad, people saved up for things, and you had to wait until you had enough money to buy it. Higher purchase was the only way to have it quickly, but most people didn't qualify.

Fast forward fifty years and most expensive things are purchased on credit. And so the poor can afford flat screen TV's, and top of the range mobile phones. Technology has moved so fast recently and everyone believes they have a right to have it, whether they can afford it or not. So we haven't progressed at all, we're just living on borrowed time before it all collapses...
I agree. Rampant consumerism most definitely is NOT progress.

That is laughable.

Ending wars and armed conflict, ensuring the global education of women and girls instead of keeping them as breeding mares and housekeepers, ending the overbearing and destructive influence of religion in politics would be progress.

The biggest con in Capitalism is the idea that we need new and improved ' things' constantly.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
I agree. Rampant consumerism most definitely is NOT progress.

That is laughable.

Ending wars and armed conflict, ensuring the global education of women and girls instead of keeping them as breeding mares and housekeepers, ending the overbearing and destructive influence of religion in politics would be progress.

The biggest con in Capitalism is the idea that we need new and improved ' things' constantly.

Wow! you shocked me there Moscow, I totally agree with you
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 05:37 PM

An important advantageous point of the british is that they always honour their Word.
The same goes for a brexit. When entering the EU in 1973 a contract was signed by Britain, stipulatng the terms for a future leaving. Clearly Theresa May's plans honours these terms.
So British, now you stand with your PM!

Page 7 of 20 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top