Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:12 PM

Re: Chatting at the checkout.

There is no way he could have done this at Aldi or Lidl. Your stuff comes flying down at about a 100 miles an hour from the checkout operator. I think they would have a fit, if you decided to pass the time of day with them!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Yes, I'm finding this too.
Because I'm off work at the moment I'm seeing actual daylight in the mornings instead of being asleep so I've been going to the supermarket occasionally.
Tesco and Asda are absolutely full of old people! I think that's a good idea because they should be banned from weekends and busy periods as that is when working people need to do their shopping and not be held up by people rambling on and on. It's a bit like this place when a thread tends to run its course and people start to go off on a tangent about anything that comes into their head with their little quips and silly anecdotes.

But, on the other hand, this man who probably knows he can get away with it because he is old and people will feel sorry for him, was out of order this morning, Longdogs.
Fair enough, if there was nobody else in the queue there isn't a problem, and Sylvia, the checkout operator could probably do with some company and a chat but to hold up all those people is plainly rude and inconsiderate no matter how interesting he thinks he is. Security guards should have removed him and fed him to pigs.

What were the other people in the queue saying?:
The scowling woman with two infants, aged 2 and 4 who were screaming and bawling?
The business gent in a navy suit with his copy of the Financial Times and a bottle of Glenmorangie single malt?
The elderly lady on a rare outing away from OFF in her long pastel blue overcoat and furry hat with her copy of People's Friend, tut-tut-tutting (but secretly wishing the old man was free and single as she likes Yorkshire puddings)?
Me trying to hold my hernia in it's socket, wincing and looking daggers?
Longdogs with his vinyl re-issue of Boston's second album, itching to get it home and play it whilst Murtagh tucks into his meatballs?

Yes, I'd peruse the queue first and weight up the clientele before joining it in future mate

That made me laugh Floydy, especially the bit about feeding him to the pigs

In future I will try to remember that a checkout without a queue is a checkout without a queue for a reason, ie, everyone else got fed up and moved to another.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
There is no way he could have done this at Aldi or Lidl. Your stuff comes flying down at about a 100 miles an hour from the checkout operator. I think they would have a fit, if you decided to pass the time of day with them!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:23 PM

What annoys me at check-outs is when the person on the till starts whizzing stuff through at break neck speed before I'm half way through unpacking the trolley even!
I can't flippin' well be at both ends of the conveyor belt at once!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

16-09-2019, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
What annoys me at check-outs is when the person on the till starts whizzing stuff through at break neck speed before I'm half way through unpacking the trolley even!
I can't flippin' well be at both ends of the conveyor belt at once!
I am a whizz on the self -checkouts. I can get all my stuff through, loyalty carded, packed, paid for and out the shop in a few minutes.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:32 PM

When I use my local Tesco, I always try to go to a checkout lady I know well, and can have a bit of banter with. Unfortunately she is usually busy with a long queue, as obviously other folk like her as well. Sometimes I've had to use a known sourpuss, as her till is always empty!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

16-09-2019, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
When I use my local Tesco, I always try to go to a checkout lady I know well, and can have a bit of banter with. Unfortunately she is usually busy with a long queue, as obviously other folk like her as well. Sometimes I've had to use a known sourpuss, as her till is always empty!
I think we all enjoy a little bit of banter and I hope it makes the checkout operator's day a little less tedious. The majority of staff know when to stop talking of course whereas the public, not always.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:41 PM

This is PC world, maybe the customer needs support, but, an untrained cashier cannot spot the signs, and the unsympathetic Queue is unaware of the dynamic going on. One day legislation and a well written algorithm will sort it out.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 11:13 PM

I find it annoying when people do this and I tend to push my shopping along the conveyer belt in the hope I will be noticed

I once got so cross when a private conversation was taking place between a customer and cashier (who obviously knew each other and were discussing a get together) that I plonked 12 loo rolls under the cashier's nose That didn't have any effect though.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire

17-09-2019, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I find it annoying when people do this and I tend to push my shopping along the conveyer belt in the hope I will be noticed

I once got so cross when a private conversation was taking place between a customer and cashier (who obviously knew each other and were discussing a get together) that I plonked 12 loo rolls under the cashier's nose That didn't have any effect though.
Probably Meg it had no response, as she did'nt need to use them!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top