Join for free
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 04:49 AM

Water Currents

I know I could look this up but thought I'd ask here.

What causes streams, rivers, etc to run a particular course even when the terrain is flat? The current keeps the water flowing a certain direction.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 08:58 AM

Re: Water Currents

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->

What causes streams, rivers, etc to run a particular course even when the terrain is flat? The current keeps the water flowing a certain direction.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 11:10 AM

I would guess that no terrain is ever absolutely flat so water finds the lowest point to flow along and toward also the movement of water creates its own gullies and creeks. However if you look at flat parts of Australia that are subject to floods these floods cover 1000s of Sq Kms and can stay weeks before they dissipate into the rivers and gullies as they flow toward the sea but there is always some slope even if very gradual. The rivers meander because it is so flat.

If you look at land that is actually laser levelled like irrigation areas such as cotton and pecan farms where the slope is at best minute and is in only one direction the irrigation water hardly flows but spreads to cover the ground evenly where it stays to soak in. That is something you never find in nature.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 11:43 AM

I would say all streams flow into rivers which ultimately flow into the sea.The sea is governed by tides and the moon .
So there is a certain amount of 'pull' on these water courses from the sea , think of sucking a drink through a straw .
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Okee dokee then
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

03-04-2014, 12:23 PM

Thanks Meg & Bruce��
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 02:55 AM

They are cause by the earth's rotation and winds.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top