Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2014, 11:09 AM

Re: Another Ice Age To Come?

The unstoppable power of nature, why worry about it.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2014, 11:13 AM

I agree Cindy, but some people are just natural worriers. (As if worrying will make a difference)
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2014, 09:04 PM

I don't get it, how do we get a heat wave - or whatever they call a period of warmth? I mean global warming melts the ice caps so the ocean gets colder and so on until we get chillled; ok fair enough and now the sun might be cooling so again I can understand us getting chilled once again, but what if the sun became very active, would the hole in the ozone cause the ice caps to melt even more so we would definitely have an ice age? I mean there is no mention of an improvement in the weather at all - just ice ages all over the place .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2014, 06:03 PM

Here we go again, I wouldn't believe a word, and I never did from these so called scientific experts, but the wife takes it all as gospel and that worries me. They told us in the sixties we were to have another Ice Age and that never happened, next came the Globing warning fiasco, not a sign of it. Between ozone layers and holes opening and closing like bar room doors, black holes that nobody can see but are there because they say they are there, I think they just do this every so often to create more work for themselves and keep their jobs going, like I always said, they haven't a clue what it's all about.
'Scientists are Baffled" scientist are supposed to be baffled, that's the job and it takes up most of their time and most of our money. indeed they can be sacked for not being baffled enough, I think the collective term for a group of scientists is called "A baffle of Scientists". There is a short course they take before they give interviews to the press, it's called "How to look baffled in Public", incidentally politicians take the same crash course when caught fiddling their expenses.
If there is no activity on the Sun at the moment and it happens every now and again what's the big deal, that big ball of fire has being going for millions of years now and the Earth is still here, maybe it's taking a short nap to refresh itself, wasn't it about ten years ago they were worried about strange spots on the Sun, nothing came out of that did it, anyway don't worry about spots you can't scratch and holes you can't fall into, leave that to the experts, thats what they're highly paid for, but still can't figure it out.
Give me the old fashioned scientist any day, the scruffy half witted forgetful old geezer in the garden shed, surrounded by glass tubes and huge bottles of deadly chemicals, bits of bodies in jars with hissing rubber tubes and steam clouding up the place, he is the one who is interested in the future of mankind and not out to feather his own nest.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2014, 04:00 AM

Totally agree with Jem. There's no such thing.

The sun is not millions of light years away at all. It is 93 million miles away, so relatively a very close next door neighbour. A light year is approximately 9,500,000,000,000 (trillion) kilometers or approx 5,878,000,000,000 trillion miles.

In any case, what's the point of worrying about something that may never happen in our lifetimes and, if it did happen in the lifetime of your children, there's still nothing you can do about it.

It won't happen.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2014, 07:41 AM

I have wondered about the effect of the reduction of cyclic sunspot activity but it might just be masking the effect of global warming.

In any other science if 97% of the scientist agreed there is a problem then something would be done but 97% of climate scientists agree the globe is warming and probably by the influence of man yet we still argue about it as a political matter and do nothing.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/con...3/s3930017.htm

I suspect that in 100 years time when OECD coastal areas are threatened with inundation by rising sea levels something might be done. Having said that I am sure that man will come up with some sort of solution at the last minute.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2014, 08:43 AM

Trouble for me is I don't trust the 97% if they were working for free I would trust them more but as has been said it's only by worrying us they manage to fund their research.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Trouble for me is I don't trust the 97% if they were working for free I would trust them more but as has been said it's only by worrying us they manage to fund their research.
You could say the same about your doctor, in fact you could argue that it applies more to your doctor. Most scientists have security of tenure, a fixed salary not relying on results and their results/papers are peer reviewed whereas your doctor gets paid more the more he treats you.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You could say the same about your doctor, in fact you could argue that it applies more to your doctor. Most scientists have security of tenure, a fixed salary not relying on results and their results/papers are peer reviewed whereas your doctor gets paid more the more he treats you.
Now don't get me started on Doctors Bruce I always get in trouble with pats when I do that
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 03:03 AM

The sun is 93 million "MILES" from the earth not light years.
Our star does go through cycles and this happens to be one of them.
The earth also goes through cycles and what we now call "Global Warming" is one of them but we have added to the problem with all the fossil fuels etc. that we are using.
Our weather systems are heating up & that means rougher weather on each end of spectrum. Think it won't affect you? Guess again!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top