Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Todays Language

I was in a store this doing some shopping and there were several young girls shopping.

The foul language that they used was real gutter language.

Why there is a need for anyone to swear is beyond me. Swearing just shows the level of a persons intellect and the range of their vocabulary.

I blame places like Facebook, Twitter Bebo etc for allowing such language to become common everday spoken words. I wonder if they use that sort of language in front of their parents.

Can anyone give me a situation where normal language can not be used without swearing to explain it?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2011, 11:52 AM

Re: Todays Language

I know what you mean AB - when you don't use that sort of language yourself it is quite shocking to hear it coming from a young girl in everyday conversation. The disturbing thing is that they don't think it is anything out of the ordinary. Generally I don't swear often and some words I couldn't bring myself to use, but every now and then something will make me cross enough to need an effective invective. Because I don't normally swear and it is usually when I am angry, it has an immediate desired effect and it is taken seriously by those who know me.
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2011, 11:57 AM

Hitting your thumb with a hammer!
Swearing has been in use since humans landed out of the trees and is not a measure of their intellect nor range of vocabulary. Many (if not most) intellectual people swear. The level at which it is used is another matter.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by dragon ->
Hitting your thumb with a hammer!
Swearing has been in use since humans landed out of the trees and is not a measure of their intellect nor range of vocabulary. Many (if not most) intellectual people swear. The level at which it is used is another matter.
So what your saying Dragon is that the level at which people use swearing has nothing to do with their intellect.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2011, 02:41 PM

My pastor used to address this problem by confronting those girls and asking them if they'd speak like that in front of their mother? Of course they would say no and the pastor would insist their potty talk was a conscious choice, to feel accepted among their peers.

Here in the states the speech habit that drives me bonkers is saying "like" every other word. No young kids speak in formal complete sentences and get irritated when confronted by their poor grammar, spelling, punctuation and poor speech habits. I would never take them seriously, hire them or allow them to date/marry my kids.
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2011, 04:44 PM

I hardly ever swear, I have a very vivid memory of saying "Bugger it" in front of my mum when I was a young pup. Next thing my mouth was being washed out with soap. Now if I'm about to let loose I still find myself looking around for my Mum. lol. By then the moment has usually passed.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2011, 04:54 PM

The nearest I get to swearing is "blast" or "sugar"!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2011, 07:24 PM

Spending my career in construction I admit to having used the odd bad word, but I have never used bad language in company or in earshot of others. Like White Raven, I inadvertently swore in front of my mother when I was thirteen and I still bear the scars!

Youngsters seem to think they invented swearing, but what they don't understand is that if used too frequently it loses it's power to shock, and that is why they use it presumably. I agree it sounds terrible but it is almost universal now, I looked at one of my granddaughter's Facebook pages the other day and I was horrified at the unrelenting filth from the sweetest 13 year old you could wish to meet.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK

17-02-2011, 07:49 AM

So no-one can give me a situation where swearing is needed.
To me swearing is the lowest form of conversation.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
So no-one can give me a situation where swearing is needed.
To me swearing is the lowest form of conversation.
Too b****y right mate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top