Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 12:18 PM

Worry about changing my ISP.

After 12 years with Orange I've finally decided to change my ISP. BT have sent me a really good offer that's too good to refuse.
What bothers me is my email addy. I've had my windows mail addy all this time. I got it when my provider was Freeserve and it's been with me through Wanadoo and Orange.

Will I be able to keep it when I change to BT? Does anybody know?

Thanks.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 12:19 PM

Re: Worry about changing my ISP.

I'm sure you will be able to Carol
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 12:52 PM

Maybe this will help you Carol, you can set up a gmail or hotmail or outlook whenever you want. You can have more than 1 email address.

http://www.choose.net/media/guide/fa...broadband.html
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 01:25 PM

Thanks Gabi - yes I have a Hotmail addy and a Yahoo one as well but I use them for Amazon , Ebay etc.
I prefer my windows mail as my main email address for personal correspondence etc - It's really good and I'd like to keep it.
Fredtheshed
Derbyshire uk
Fredtheshed is male  Fredtheshed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 09:37 PM

If you mean Windows Live Mail you can use any ISP.
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 11:55 PM

Hi Carol, I used to be with Orange and I had two email addresses (.......@fsmail.net)
Although I've now moved to B.T. (and I have no contract with Orange) my two email accounts at Orange are still 'live' and I think they will be as long as I use them occasionally...
Regards, Malc.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 12:09 AM

Check out the British Telecom Bad Service Group on Facebook Carol Not everyone rates their service very highly.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/559295254151093/
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
After 12 years with Orange I've finally decided to change my ISP. BT have sent me a really good offer that's too good to refuse.
What bothers me is my email addy. I've had my windows mail addy all this time. I got it when my provider was Freeserve and it's been with me through Wanadoo and Orange.

Will I be able to keep it when I change to BT? Does anybody know?

Thanks.

Yes of course you can still use any email addy who have used before.

And ISP only connects you to the internet you keep all the links on your computer, a new ISP does not change that.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
Yes of course you can still use any email addy who have used before.

And ISP only connects you to the internet you keep all the links on your computer, a new ISP does not change that.
I don't think that is entirely right. For example with my isp i can receive mail where ever I am in the world but unless I am logged on through their server I cannot send mail using that address. In the past all my isp based email addresses have eventually become void.

The best advice to anyone is set up gmail/hotmail/yahoo accounts and use them for everything. Personally I have several different ones for business, for family and for groups for example. My isp supplied one is never used except for eBay/Paypal as they insist on it.

One advantage is that once you get a good, memorable name in one you can generally get the same name in all of them. Ie bjd123@hotmail.com, bjd123@gmail.com, bjd123@outlook.com BTW they are not my addresses!

Windows Live Mail, Incredimail or Thunderbird will handle as many addresses as you care to open with them and then you only need one addressbook for them all.
tyrell
South Eat England
tyrell is male  tyrell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2014, 06:48 AM

Yes , keeping your e-mail address is easy, I changed to Virgin Broadband ages ago and at the time they gave me a new Virgin media e-mail address. I have never used it , never ran my home page as a Virgin Home Page . Kept using my hotmail address and gmail address. My Home Page has always been The BBC News Home Page. Regards Tyrell .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top