Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 08:36 AM

Orange email to close.

I've had the same email addy for 14 years. I got it when Orange was Freeserve. I'm a bit shocked to get an email from Orange to say they were closing their email accounts and I had to get another.

What kind of a server doesn't provide an email service?

I do have a Hotmail addy that I use for ebay but it's not a patch on my Orange one.

I'm not happy about having to change.

Has this happened to anybody else?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 09:01 AM

Re: Orange email to close.

No.....but there again I have never used my providers email addresses.

As for Orange/EE......nothing surprises me....I was with them for nearly 23 years until they started offering new customers better deals than those that were existing.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 09:24 AM

Carol I was with Demon/Freeserve/Orange/EE which is now BT
I wonder if I will get a letter
I have had the same email since I started on the internet it will be a pain to change
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
No.....but there again I have never used my providers email addresses.

As for Orange/EE......nothing surprises me....I was with them for nearly 23 years until they started offering new customers better deals than those that were existing.
Tpin, Talk Talk told me that, if you don't renew your contract regularly then you end up paying more.... it is the new customers that get the best deals. Now I have renewed my contact, my phone bills have reduce by half... but I am now stuck with them for another 2 years!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Has this happened to anybody else?
It's not happened to me, since I went Gmail years ago but a friend has just received notification and I'm changing his email to Google one afternoon later this week.

For him, the change will be relatively painless since he is a light user, but if I had to change again it would probably take me a week to sort through hundreds of business and personal contacts plus hundreds of website accounts .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 10:57 AM

Tpin is right about not using an e-mail address from your server.
I was with Virgin until one day they told me I was being put onto Talk Talk because Virgin no longer wanted customers on the slow broadband connections [copper cable instead of fibre optic] here in the wilds of South Yorkshire we haven't got fibre optic yet.

I told them to 'Stick it' and joined up with BT. But now I have a Gmail address just incase it happens again.....It was a right pain in the rectum informing all my contacts that my address had changed. I can still access my old address on Virgin [But I don't know for how long] and some people are still communicating with me on the old address.....Nightmare.....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 11:01 AM

I seem to vaguely remember I had an orange email years ago I do use the email addy my provider gives me, it's bt these days.

My husband prefers yahoo but I think yahoo and bt are related now anyway.

Never got on with gmail I have an addy but I never use it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Tpin is right about not using an e-mail address from your server.
I was with Virgin until one day they told me I was being put onto Talk Talk because Virgin no longer wanted customers on the slow broadband connections [copper cable instead of fibre optic] here in the wilds of South Yorkshire we haven't got fibre optic yet.
Although we have VM fibre broadband, the VM e-mail service that comes with it is, at best, slightly unreliable and slow to load, and occasionally fails altogether.

For that reason, I also have a G-mail account which is much more reliable.

When the latest problems arose recently, I telephoned VM and told them that I found G-mail more reliable. The lady's response was to assure me that ALL e-mail services have regular problems.

I responded by assuring her that, in my experience, G-mail had not failed even once.

VM broadband may be fast, but if and when another supplier decides to install fibre connections locally, I shall be the first to give them a try.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 01:20 PM

I've never bothered using the internet providers email addy as my email address it would be to much trouble if you switch providers. I'm happy with yahoo.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 04:19 PM

EE are closing the email facility from 31st May, these are the affected addresses.

Orange.net
Orangehome.co.uk
Wanadoo.co.uk
Freeserve.co.uk
Fsbusiness.co.uk
Fslife.co.uk
Fsmail.net
Fsworld.co.uk
Fsnet.co.uk
new.labour.org.uk

I use 'Windows Live Mail' on my computer so am just going to add a new email GMail I think then let everyone know of the change while I still have the old address

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top