Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 02:09 PM

Re: Still argue ing!! HS2!!

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If he is going to do it he start in the North and work down.
I agree Swimmy but we wish! How a high speed rail line between London and Birmingham (Phase 1) will help the north defeats me, and Phase 2 north of Birmingham is to be reviewed to look for cost savings apparently, so I doubt it will ever proceed as Phase 1 will no doubt swallow up the whole of the HS2 budget.

HS2 then is just mindless logic from everyone with their snout in the bottomless trough. No surprises there though... 😡
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If he is going to do it he start in the North and work down.
He is under pressure to sort out the mess in and around Euston where many buildings were demolished years ago ...

Also, a little further up the line ... Old Oak Common "the best connected rail station in the UK" is in limbo, suppose to connect HS2 with Crossrail.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 08:37 PM

I have been looking at what the fares to travel on HS2 are likely
to be, and the only figures l can come up with are as follows!
London to Birm season tkt on virgin fast are presently £10,000

'' '' '' '' HS2 (2016 price) £17,770
London midland '' '' conventional train now £5,640
Does any of this make sense to anybody?
Even the present london midland fare is too much for me as a
state pensioner with only the one pension??
Donkeyman!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 10:11 PM

Here's an idea. Why not start HS2 at Leeds and continue down to the Midland Hub bypassing Birmingham altogether. From the hub, it can go to Manchester and then, and only then, continue down to London.

Somebody should be writing this down.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:48 PM

On BBC News last night they were quoting a cost in excess of 10 Billion pounds! That is an obscene amount of money to waste on knocking half an hour of the travel time. Far better to spend it on improving the railway we already have - including rolling stock which currently is abysmal.

People interviewed were saying they would lose their homes and, in some cases, their businesses to make way for something that the majority of people don't even want.

The price of existing train tickets is extortionate - can you imagine what it will cost to use the HS2?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:58 PM

As Tabby says the cost is sickeningly high not only in money but for those people who are going to have to lose there homes.

There has been fierce opposition but still it's going ahead. They need to listen to the people, but, I forgot, we don't have a voice anymore.

The money could be put to much more useful use, starting with rebuilding roads, there are potholes all over the damn place
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
On BBC News last night they were quoting a cost in excess of 10 Billion pounds! That is an obscene amount of money to waste on knocking half an hour of the travel time. Far better to spend it on improving the railway we already have - including rolling stock which currently is abysmal.

People interviewed were saying they would lose their homes and, in some cases, their businesses to make way for something that the majority of people don't even want.

The price of existing train tickets is extortionate - can you imagine what it will cost to use the HS2?
The NHS could do with a bit as well, if my experience earlier today is anything to go by ...
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 02:04 PM

How will they secure the line? Too many morons in this country only too happy to chuck stuff onto the rails and travelling at the proposed speed, HS2 will surely get derailed?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Here's an idea. Why not start HS2 at Leeds and continue down to the Midland Hub bypassing Birmingham altogether. From the hub, it can go to Manchester and then, and only then, continue down to London.

Somebody should be writing this down.
There are at least three alternative more effective arrangements
being promulgated at the moment Juddy, but it seems the HS2
company is set on pushing on with its vision despite spiralling
costs, even if the projected £100Billion only covers the London to
Birmingham section!
I actually doubt the entire thing will ever be built at all, as it is going
to take so long that we will have had at least 8 different governments
by the time it is PROJECTED to be finished???
Can you imagine the shyte that will cause??
Donkeyman!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 04:47 PM

Here's a tiny thought from my tiny brain:

1. Build London to Birmingham from both ends at the same time. Laying the tracks and putting up the gantries as you go but leaving the signal and overhead wiring until the very end because they're easily stolen.
2. At the same time, start building from Manchester AND Leeds to Birmingham and v.v. as in 1.

I see this as saving money because the tracks will be laid much quicker, the rails can be made in South Wales AND the North East (saving the steel industry and 1000s of jobs).

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top