Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 02:45 PM

Who is stupid?

This thread may be provocative but nobody is forced to contribute. My question is :-

How easy do you find it to decide somebody is "stupid"? Or maybe that they are an "idiot". I only ask because i observe that these two adjectives are thrown around quite freely here. What do these words mean for you. Are they just coloquialisms? Or do they mean more to you. If so what?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 02:48 PM

Re: Who is stupid?

I watch dash cam video's on Youtube & the near misses. knocks & crashes I see on those lead me to believe that there are a lot of stupid people who drive on our roads. I am glad I do not drive.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 02:54 PM

For me, Stupid is the inability to use common sense to mentally think through a situation or statement before acting on it.

An idiot has no hope of rising to the level of stupid.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 02:59 PM

It all depends on what those words relate to. It my be a person misheard or
misunderstood, that then would seem they are stupid or an idiot. It might even be because they were distracted that they appeared thus.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
This thread may be provocative but nobody is forced to contribute. My question is :-

How easy do you find it to decide somebody is "stupid"? Or maybe that they are an "idiot". I only ask because i observe that these two adjectives are thrown around quite freely here. What do these words mean for you. Are they just coloquialisms? Or do they mean more to you. If so what?
I don't think anyone is stupid. We all have some skills to contribute and different talents and everyone is on this path of life which we are thrown into without any preparation. Most spend their lives trying to work out what it's all about.

However, we are all guilty of behaving in a stupid way at times or making silly mistakes. Particularly as we get older. Sometimes it's easy to miss the obvious even when it's staring you in the face. Then it's "d'oh!"
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->

I have not found anyone to be “ stupid “ or an “ idiot”..

What do they mean “ to me” ..negative words...you say that often enough to a child ,they could end believing it.

As an adult if I get called those words, it would be water off a ducks back...words like that don’t penetrate.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 03:53 PM

I think too many people misuse the word, especially those who think they are perfect so they deride others who make mistakes. Nine times out of ten the 'victims' could run circles around them with their cleverness in doing other things.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 03:57 PM

I have to have some ad hominem to use in anger or frustration against someone who will never hear me call them that, so "stupid" is the one that pops out of my mouth. It usually refers to an action done unconsciously. It's better than what I could have called them.

It is also what I call myself in such situations - sometimes frequently.

pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by mags ->
i think too many people misuse the word, especially those who think they are perfect so they deride others who make mistakes. Nine times out of ten the 'victims' could run circles around them with their cleverness in doing other things.

...words of wisdom.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 04:39 PM

The word ‘morons’ is used on here a lot. I cringe when l read it.

Regarding, ‘idiot’ and ‘stupid’. I suppose it takes one, to see one!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top