Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 04:31 PM

Don't Hold In A Sneeze .. Can Be Lethal

It's damn dangerous

An oldish story I've just come across in the news.

Doctors have warned against the polite practice, after a man ruptured the back of his throat while trying to contain the convulsive explosion of air.

The 34-year-old was admitted to hospital barely able to swallow or speak after pinching his nose and clamping shut his mouth to stop a sneeze.

When doctors examined him they also heard strange popping and crackling sounds, which extended from his neck all the way down to his ribcage.

A scan confirmed that that air from his lungs had bubbled its way into the deep tissue and muscles of the chest when it could not escape.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...s-could-death/

Gosh, I never knew that ..or that a sneeze can travel at 200 mph. Poor chap was in hospital for 7 days.

I imagine attempting to block a belch or exhaust from the other end can be as bad.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 04:38 PM

Re: Don't Hold In A Sneeze .. Can Be Lethal

Gosh who knew ! Although last time I had to stifle a sneeze it was to stop myself weeing myself, now I'm wondering which is worse death or wet knickers.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Gosh who knew ! Although last time I had to stifle a sneeze it was to stop myself weeing myself, now I'm wondering which is worse death or wet knickers.
Julie, I have the same problem Pelvic excersizes could help if it happens again.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Julie, I have the same problem Pelvic excersizes could help if it happens again.
Yes I can attest to that too, I was amiss not doing them before.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 11:44 PM

Blimey, didn't know that Mort.
I know some almighty sneezes can make me ears pop though.

I believe a good sneeze can travel between 100 - 200 ft away as well! This is why people should sneeze into a hanky if poss.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
It's damn dangerous

An oldish story I've just come across in the news.

Doctors have warned against the polite practice, after a man ruptured the back of his throat while trying to contain the convulsive explosion of air.

The 34-year-old was admitted to hospital barely able to swallow or speak after pinching his nose and clamping shut his mouth to stop a sneeze.

When doctors examined him they also heard strange popping and crackling sounds, which extended from his neck all the way down to his ribcage.

A scan confirmed that that air from his lungs had bubbled its way into the deep tissue and muscles of the chest when it could not escape.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...s-could-death/

Gosh, I never knew that ..or that a sneeze can travel at 200 mph. Poor chap was in hospital for 7 days.

I imagine attempting to block a belch or exhaust from the other end can be as bad.
Wow - that is scary !
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 09:09 AM

I thought the best way to stifle a sneeze is to rub your tongue over the roof of your mouth.....and it works! I am not sure how it works but I suspect it is less dangerous than the method this man tried.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 09:24 AM

When I was younger as kids do i looked up fart in the dictionary it said a small explosion between the legs it still makes me laugh to this day. Thats what sneezes are, nose farts

I hate when people sneeze without covering their nose especially in a confined space like on the tube or something you have no option but to breath in their bugs
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 10:03 AM

As a child I remember my best friend used to block her nose when she sneezed.
When I started doing it at home my mum hit the roof, told me how dangerous it was
It's always a tissue for me now...or else I cover with my hand if I'm caught short, and turn away from people

Actually there is something strangely enjoyable about feeling that tingle...staring at a bright, light source... and then experiencing that climax of an almighty sneeze
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 12:48 PM

I have never been able to stifle a sneeze, I find it impossible to do and it usually ends up a bit messy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top