Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 05:25 AM

Hedgehogs.

I was out at 4.30 am,walking the dog,all of a sudden,I heard a huffing and a puffing,I knew straight away what it was,as they visit my garden,..yes,two hedgehogs,what a wonderful sight,I wanted to get up close,...but they were in the grounds,of a row of flats,under a window,I was a bit wary,so thought better not,...I know these creatures are in decline,...just happy to see,they are still around,....as i see quite a few,dead on the side of the road.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 06:21 AM

Re: Hedgehogs.

That smiley,should not be there,it should be a sad one.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 08:15 AM

Hope folks are putting out water in shallow dishes in this hot weather, to help our wild friends.
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Hope folks are putting out water in shallow dishes in this hot weather, to help our wild friends.

Indeed. We have the largest one I have ever seen, regularly visits our back garden. Much to the annoyance of our two chihuahuas.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

26-07-2018, 08:25 AM

Hi Nom,I have 2 small ponds,would they not drink from those?..or should I still put out a shallow bowl of water?..I know they are in desperate need at the moment,because of this heatwave.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 08:28 AM

It depends on wether they have a gentle slope to the water, can,t have the wee critters falling in Pauline.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 08:28 AM

We have hedgehogs here in our little village, with a no through lane and few vehicles it is quiet and ideal for them and I see one most night when out for my late walk with Chloe. I would guess this dry weather is causing them problems with a lack of slugs as well as water . When I water the flower tubs in the front garden at night which is open to the lane, I fill a saucer with water at the same time.

My son leaves his utility room door open at night for the cats (the farmhouse is set in fields ) and they had a hedgehog who came in and ate the cat food so started putting food out and now have a family of hedgehogs who come to the door for food.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

26-07-2018, 08:54 AM

Oh no Nom,I would never forgive myself if that happened,they can get out,I will put a shallow dish out tonight,....Meg,how lovely to have a family of hogs,I am jeleous,...I don't think my hogs are visiting my garden at the moment,I wonder why this is?..when I can afford it,I am going to have another camera added to my cctv,..zoom in at night,to watch all wildlife.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 09:53 AM

I've heard of a couple drowning in ponds locally.

Poor things are struggling at the moment. The ground here is like rock and no sight of slugs ,snail or worms.

Do they eat chicken ? I read somewhere that they do .
We can get Hedgehog Museli too, which I was about to buy online , until the final cost popped up. It was almost the same for postage as it was for the food. So I decided not to bother.

There was a problem on local tv last night, saying the numbers being handed in to a rescue centre have sored this year. The poor little critters are having a hard time this year.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

26-07-2018, 10:02 AM

Puddleduck,the hogs were always in my garden last year,I put out bought hog food,it was always gone in the morning,..but the problem is,how do I know that they ate the food,same if you put out chicken,online it showed you how to build a small house,to put the food in for them,so cats,fox etc,don't get it first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top