Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 04:48 AM

Be careful with dogs and kids!

We are now reporting on our daily news the death of a 14 yr old girl who was attacked and bitten by the family dog - a german wirehaired pointer. A lovely dog; but a hunting dog who has a pack mentality and operates in a pecking order and needs to know who the alpha male is etc.

this was apparently a family dog on a acre plot in Victoria - this dog should not be left with younger kids it regards them in the pecking order and attacked the girl for that reason. Unfortunately the dog has now been removed by the council pending further decisions.

I of course sympathize with the family and loss of their daughter/grandaughter but also for the dog who may be destroyed which would be a great shame indeed.

https://burnie.seafmtas.com.au/news-...ck-in-victoria
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 08:12 AM

Re: Be careful with dogs and kids!

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
We are now reporting on our daily news the death of a 14 yr old girl who was attacked and bitten by the family dog - a german wirehaired pointer. A lovely dog; but a hunting dog who has a pack mentality and operates in a pecking order and needs to know who the alpha male is etc.

this was apparently a family dog on a acre plot in Victoria - this dog should not be left with younger kids it regards them in the pecking order and attacked the girl for that reason. Unfortunately the dog has now been removed by the council pending further decisions.

I of course sympathize with the family and loss of their daughter/grandaughter but also for the dog who may be destroyed which would be a great shame indeed.

https://burnie.seafmtas.com.au/news-...ck-in-victoria
Any dog who shows any aggression to humans should be put down immediately, humans are far more important than any other species of animal.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 08:17 AM

I believe that is the plan - but leaving 14mth old kids unsupervised with a frisky dog is asking for trouble. I took a long time training one of my g/kids to control a friendly but big dog but we still would not leave her alone with him.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 10:38 AM

I have never ever,left my children,alone with any of my dogs,..not even my chihuahua...my heart goes out to that young girl and her family,she had her whole life ahead of her,...a mistake that should never have happened.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

02-08-2018, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I have never ever,left my children,alone with any of my dogs,..not even my chihuahua...my heart goes out to that young girl and her family,she had her whole life ahead of her,...a mistake that should never have happened.
exactly and they had jut moved into the district too! - we have a similar problem with pools over here - unsupervised kids around pools is deadly
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I believe that is the plan - but leaving 14mth old kids unsupervised with a frisky dog is asking for trouble. I took a long time training one of my g/kids to control a friendly but big dog but we still would not leave her alone with him.
From your OP you said the girl was 14 years old not 14 months?
I read the link, 14 months it says on there, no wonder I was confused & no the kid should not have been left alone with that dog. I didn't leave my kids alone at that age & older with our dog & she was totally sweet natured & I taught my kids to respect her.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 05:12 PM

Eggs and grandmothers come to mind.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Any dog who shows any aggression to humans should be put down immediately, humans are far more important than any other species of animal.

And I assume you would feel no sympathy for an animal that was having toys poked down it's ears, fingers poked into it's eyes, tail pulled, fur pulled, it's back ridden on, kicked, smacked, and screamed at?
This is frequently what humans expect a dog to put up with.

Then suddenly the dog turns . . . well blow me!
A cat would lash out with it's claws.
A pony would bite or kick.
Humans would defend themselves also.
Why shouldn't a dog?

If only all parents, and even schools, taught kids how to behave round animals and understand the warning signs when an animal has had enough - especially in heat like we've experienced this summer.

I cannot comment further on this particular case, as I was not there and have no idea of the circumstances leading up to the dreadful ending . I can only say how tragic for all concerned.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Actually I would prefer quite a few humans were put down like the ones that rape and murder little girls and boys .
They are less important than than the lowliest of animal species .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Actually I would prefer quite a few humans were put down like the ones that rape and murder little girls and boys .
They are less important than than the lowliest of animal species .

Well said Muddy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top