Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 03:21 PM

Bowel cancer screening to start earlier at age 50 in England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45143895

Evidence showed that screening people at a younger age would allow more bowel cancers to be picked up at an earlier stage.

Currently, men and women in England are first invited for screening at the age of 60 and sent a home testing kit.

The change brings England in line with Scotland where bowel screening is automatically offered from 50.

An independent committee of screening experts recently recommended that bowel cancer screening in England should begin 10 years earlier than it does now.

The Health Secretary Matt Hancock has now agreed to the change, and NHS England and Public Health England are deciding how the plan will be rolled out.

A new, improved test, called a faecal immunochemical home test kit or FIT, is being rolled out to everyone age 60 and over in the autumn.
Not that's what I call good news .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 03:31 PM

Re: Bowel cancer screening to start earlier at age 50 in England

Yes it makes sense to test people as early as possible and not just for bowel cancer.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 03:24 PM

It's interesting how they have reported this as happening but given no timescale. The official publication says it's recommended that people from age 50 are screened in "future". There's nothing to say it's available universally from Autumn. Seems to be part of a long term plan but no date is confirmed.

"The committee recognises that this change will take time but wants the FIT test to be offered to all aged 60 and over as soon as possible, and options considered for a roll out plan where screening can be offered at 55 and eventually to all aged 50 – ensuring we have the best bowel screening programme possible."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/b...to-start-at-50
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 11:07 AM

Every year since turning 50 they send me out a kit to send back to them. I haven't used it, though which is quite remiss of me.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top