Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:11 PM

Dogs - can anyone recommend .....

Teddy is getting on a bit (10 and a half) and has some joint problems that come and go. Can anyone recommend a good natural supplement? He was on Yumove from the vet which gave him dreadful diarrhoea. I mean explosive. I was hoping there might be some doggy alternative to cod liver oil.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
xirrpy
Devon-all of it
xirrpy is male  xirrpy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:13 PM

Re: Dogs - can anyone recommend .....

You would be better off speaking to the vet surely ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by xirrpy ->
You would be better off speaking to the vet surely ?
The vet we saw was rubbish. The vet we used to see is semi retired. It's also a palaver getting an appointment with all the restrictions. Their service is just not as good as once it was.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:57 PM

My wife works for a veterinary pharmaceutical laboratory. I asked her about this. There is a product here called Sasha's Blend which is meant to be very good for joint problems in dogs. Maybe it is available in the UK. Worth mentioning. Maybe it is.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-01-2021, 01:28 PM

Many thanks Keezoy, I looked that up and have the following message : "Due to the new Brexit measures, we're currently unable to ship orders to our customers in the United Kingdom." drat!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 02:14 PM

My vet told me a long time ago that dogs can take some of the meds we take. He suggested I went to the health shop and got a bottle of Glucosamine Sulphate and give the dog one a day. Get tablets not capsules. Also make sure it's not got any other stuff mixed in with it, straight G.S. I get 180 tablets (6 months supply) for £12.99 and that's a lot cheaper than any vet will charge you. I have been taking them myself for my joints for several years and can't recommend then highly enough. My old Bentley got a new lease of life after being on them for a few weeks. I will also give them to Dageus should he start getting stiff, he's nine now and I've been watching him for any signs. You can also get them on Amazon and Ebay.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	glucosamine-sulphate-1000mg-p219-236_zoom.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	14518  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 04:18 PM

Annie, the first thing I'd do is change my vet.

You say he was rubbish and not half as good as they used to be, so why still go there and give him your money?
You need one you have faith in and can talk to, and is good with your animals.

Next, I was going to suggest YuMove, but you say it made him poorly last time?
I am really surprised with this. Are you sure beyond doubt it was the YuMove and hadn't just got a dodgy tummy for another reason that coincided? Was it within the 'use by' date?
When he was better, did you try once more to test your theory?

YuMove do more than one remedy for stiff joints, and unless your dog is allergic to sea food I cannot see anything in their that could upset him?
I say about Sea food because it does contain green lipped mussel as a natural form of Omega.
Other than that it is just Glucosamine, Manganese, and Vits C and E, so all good stuff.

Lastly, they are very helpful if you ring them for advice. You could explain what happened to him before and see what they suggest.

https://yumove.co.uk/collections/dog

P.S. I looked at the ingredients of the Sasha's Blend, and it is more or less the same as YuMove - Glucasamine, Omega and vitamins.

Also Roxy's choice is 1000 mg of Glucosamine. That is 4 times more than YuMove's.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 05:26 PM

You get Glucosamine in different doses, that was just a picture I took from Google. I used to give Bentley the 1000 dose but he was an old English Sheepdog. Big lad.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

11-01-2021, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Annie, the first thing I'd do is change my vet.

You say he was rubbish and not half as good as they used to be, so why still go there and give him your money?
You need one you have faith in and can talk to, and is good with your animals.

Next, I was going to suggest YuMove, but you say it made him poorly last time?
I am really surprised with this. Are you sure beyond doubt it was the YuMove and hadn't just got a dodgy tummy for another reason that coincided? Was it within the 'use by' date?
When he was better, did you try once more to test your theory?

YuMove do more than one remedy for stiff joints, and unless your dog is allergic to sea food I cannot see anything in their that could upset him?
I say about Sea food because it does contain green lipped mussel as a natural form of Omega.
Other than that it is just Glucosamine, Manganese, and Vits C and E, so all good stuff.

Lastly, they are very helpful if you ring them for advice. You could explain what happened to him before and see what they suggest.

https://yumove.co.uk/collections/dog

P.S. I looked at the ingredients of the Sasha's Blend, and it is more or less the same as YuMove - Glucasamine, Omega and vitamins.

Also Roxy's choice is 1000 mg of Glucosamine. That is 4 times more than YuMove's.
Mups the tummy upset was definitely linked to the Yumove. I looked up the side effects and it is a known problem for some dogs.

Not sure if you remember the chat but this was the same vet that said that it wasn't likely to be linked to the council weedkiller on the pavements. The vet said the council must use weedkiller that is benign to pets. I was suggesting that might have caused the problem which she poo pooed.

There are two very good vets at the practice. The principal is excellent and most people go there because of the reputation he built. There is a another good one. But the one I saw seems to be available all the time the others you have to wait for. I've seen vets I don't like before and it can be very stressful. We were with a money grabbing practice before I got fed up and changed. Many people at the practice I'm with did the same. I don't fancy having to change again right now during lockdown. Nobody seems to be providing the best care right now.

I wouldn't have the confidence to give a dog human supplements because I don't have a clue about dosage.

Isn't there a cod liver oil/ fish oil type supplement for dogs?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

11-01-2021, 10:57 AM

If you have a small dog then use the 500 a big dog the 1000. One tablet a day. Simples.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top