Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 11:04 AM

Re: Dogs - can anyone recommend .....

Add some sardines to his dog food .
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 11:05 AM

Yep, Dageus gets a whole tin mixed through his dinner twice a week. My daughter does the same, but half a tin as she has a wee Westie.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Mups the tummy upset was definitely linked to the Yumove. I looked up the side effects and it is a known problem for some dogs.

Not sure if you remember the chat but this was the same vet that said that it wasn't likely to be linked to the council weedkiller on the pavements. The vet said the council must use weedkiller that is benign to pets. I was suggesting that might have caused the problem which she poo pooed.

There are two very good vets at the practice. The principal is excellent and most people go there because of the reputation he built. There is a another good one. But the one I saw seems to be available all the time the others you have to wait for. I've seen vets I don't like before and it can be very stressful. We were with a money grabbing practice before I got fed up and changed. Many people at the practice I'm with did the same. I don't fancy having to change again right now during lockdown. Nobody seems to be providing the best care right now.

I wouldn't have the confidence to give a dog human supplements because I don't have a clue about dosage.

Isn't there a cod liver oil/ fish oil type supplement for dogs?

Annie, when I make an appointment at my vets, I always book with the same person, not just accept any appointment.
I remember him saying to me once, that the vets actually prefer this because they get to know the animal then, rather than doing the rounds seeing different people.

However, about the fish oil.
I was going to suggest Salmon Oil, but did a quick bit of research from 'Dogs Naturally' first, and was really surprised to read it is not recommended. It can cause internal bleeding if you overdo it!!

Have a read of this, you have to scroll down the article a bit.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...a-3-dogs-safe/

I was very surprised after googling, to see there are many other sites who don't recommend fish oils either.
You'll need to have a read and make your own mind up on this one Annie, because at the moment, I am not sure what to make of it.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 04:04 PM

WOW, I had no idea of that. Dageus won't be getting any more sardines. I only did it for his coat, guess I'll have to brush more. Sheeezze, there's always something.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

12-01-2021, 01:13 PM

Came across this today. I've not seen it before but you may be interested all the same.

https://www.ffpets.co.uk/?fbclid=IwA...Rb8a5pyYQDhSOs

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	106975928_23845300838520682_2462099804292995747_n.png.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	14536  
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 10:36 PM

Thanks Roxy I will look into that to see whether there are any gastro-intestinal reports. It's just no fun when dogs get older and start having all these problems.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 01:43 AM

I use this for our dogs. It’s got glucosamine sulphate. It has other things added plus I make their food. It’s 50% meat (either beef , pork, turkey, chicken, liver, fish, chicken hearts & livers ) plus 50% vegetables ; carrots, zuchinni, parsnips, yams, ) Sometimes I add ashwagandha and turmeric or other anti inflammatory herbs. This has worked wonders for our 15 year old Yorkshire terrier. The difference has been like night and day.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	647E1099-09E6-4BFB-AC3A-92878446C170.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	14548  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks Roxy I will look into that to see whether there are any gastro-intestinal reports. It's just no fun when dogs get older and start having all these problems.

Yes, really research this Annie. I remember someone telling me how a joint supplement (supplied by the vet) had caused holes in her dog's stomach. If I see her again I will ask her which make it was.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

14-01-2021, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, really research this Annie. I remember someone telling me how a joint supplement (supplied by the vet) had caused holes in her dog's stomach. If I see her again I will ask her which make it was.

I used Glucasamine for years on several of my dogs. I have been taking it myself for a good few years now. I Really can't recommend it highly enough BUT, it MUST, be the Glucasamine only, nothing else mixed in with it and the tablet not the capsules. I get Tunnocks Teacakes, keep them in the fridge, and then you can cut one in half and push the pill into the marshmallow, the dogs just gobble it. Half a teacake a day does no harm. Also if you get the tablets you can cut one in half if you want to give a lesser dose.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I used Glucasamine for years on several of my dogs. I have been taking it myself for a good few years now. I Really can't recommend it highly enough BUT, it MUST, be the Glucasamine only, nothing else mixed in with it and the tablet not the capsules. I get Tunnocks Teacakes, keep them in the fridge, and then you can cut one in half and push the pill into the marshmallow, the dogs just gobble it. Half a teacake a day does no harm. Also if you get the tablets you can cut one in half if you want to give a lesser dose.
Wow! I didn't know dogs could eat Tunnock's tea cakes. Mind you, they would have to fight me for them.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top