Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2013, 03:57 PM

Which childhood book made you look at life differently?

I was a huge Enid Blyton fan as a child then Derek Tangye and all his animal stories set in cornwall all quiet innocent books but when I was around 12 an aunt sent me for Christmas Ann Franks diary..... It opened my eyes to the real world and changed my book reading over night
Which book made you see things in a different light?
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2013, 04:18 PM

Re: Which childhood book made you look at life differently?

The Call of the Wild, By Jack London, surviving in the Yukon during the Klondyke gold rush. Great outdoors and nature.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2013, 04:24 PM

The Diary of Anne Franks
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2013, 05:16 PM

I got hold of a copy of Animal Farm by George Orwell when I was about 11. It was a strange book to me as an 11 year old. I read it carefully and discussed and analysed the story and what Orwell was saying in great depth with my dad. This book certainly made me think and what I took from it stirred in me the beginnings of a political/social conscience. I still have a copy somewhere.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2013, 07:50 PM

As a young child both 'The Water Babies' and 'Black Beauty' affected me greatly .

Also as child growing up in the Derbyshire Dales Alison Uttly's 'The Country Child' had a special meaning knowing she grew up in the same area and shared many similar experiences.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2013, 07:59 PM

I was a bit of a mixed bag as a child. On the one hand I was incredibly active and loved sport and anything in the outdoors. On the other hand, if I was indoors, I was either building something with my Meccano set or I had my head buried in a book. Lots of books were influential for me - Jack London's novels stimulated my love for the outdoors, the frozen north, huskies and social justice; Richmal Crompton's "Just William" novels helped develop my sense of humour and lack of respect for "authority"; John Wyndham's science fiction novels opened up the scary world of the unknown. Probably the most influential of all however, was an old set of Encyclopaedia Brittanica which my parents picked up for next to nothing from a jumble sale - I would spend hour upon hour browsing random topics and learning, second hand, about our amazing world. Those old encyclopaedias were like a treasure trove of knowledge - something I have never tired of.
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2013, 11:01 PM

'Black Beauty', oh I never have got over Ginger's death...
'Call of the wild' and 'White Fang' both amazing windows into another world
'Animal Farm' I still get tearful about Boxer being taken away
Rosemary Sutcliffe's many historical novels, all brilliant
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2013, 11:28 PM

I still have my copies of White Fang and Call of the Wild.

Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame - remember that one?

I don't suppose anyone will remember a book called "Grandpop's Annual" - all about the antics of an old chimp called Grandpop who invented stuff which never worked properly. He had a following of little chimps who got up to all sorts of mischief. The illustrations and the narrative used to make me howl with laughter. Still got that one as well.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2013, 06:59 AM

I was an avid Enid Blyton fan too (especially the Famous Five of which I was lucky enough to acquire the complete set) but the books that made me look at life differently were probably some of the same as above. I would certainly also include Anne Frank and Animal Farm, 1984, and I think Children of the New Forest set me off being interested in historical novels.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2013, 08:12 AM

The Time Machine --H G Wells, I found that book absolutely unputdownable (?) and of course Jack London's books I remember going to the library and after I'd picked my books often had to pick up one for my Dad , he liked Zane Grey westerns etc and he always said that if page 72 had a pencil mark at the end of the last word on the page not to borrow it as he'd read it and as it was in the adult section, I had to have a note as well as his library ticket ,lol

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top