Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 03:04 PM

Re: Account hacked

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The fraud people said you should check your account once a week .
V checks ours at least 2x/wk.

For on-line purchases we have a credit card with a £500 limit so that's the maximum we can be taken for.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 06:00 PM

The thing is, the way technology is moving, banks, businesses and commerce is pushing everyone to do digital for all purchases and other financial business. When you want to use cash you tend to get a look of disgust thrown your way.

I think today's society is waiting for us oldies to die so society can move forward further into the digital age because it's always the oldies who get the blame for wanting to use cash and not do things online.

And with that, it makes life easier for hackers because all our information will be online.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 06:49 PM

Hi

No online Banking for me, use phone banking.

I also use a Credit Card for online purchases for the protection it gives.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 10:06 AM

Hi Primus!

Sorry to hear about you experiences with this scam.
When reading of your experiences, with the Bank, I noticed that you make no mention of taking up this scam with Amazon.

For the bank to make a payment to Amazon, I'd have thought that there must have been an invoice from Amazon somewhere, otherwise why would the bank be doing a payment? If not an invoice, what triggered the payment?

My banks sends me a note almost every time I spend anything!

These on line traders, like eBay and Amazon, will be well versed in scams like this.

A few years ago, I noticed some invoices in my eBay account, for a number of small stationery purchases, which were to be delivered to a Russian address.

Luckily, I noticed it early and eBay did me proud by sorting it all out very quickly.
In the event, my eBay address had been changed to a Russian address, so anything I bought would have gone there (I laugh now!), without me knowing much about it.

That led on to my using the "haveibeenbeenpawned" web site and finding that my email Address had be given, or sold on, by some site from years before.

Worth a look there:-

https://haveibeenpwned.com

If you come up as having had your email &/or password compromised you might want to get a new password, pronto!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
The thing is, the way technology is moving, banks, businesses and commerce is pushing everyone to do digital for all purchases and other financial business. When you want to use cash you tend to get a look of disgust thrown your way.

I think today's society is waiting for us oldies to die so society can move forward further into the digital age because it's always the oldies who get the blame for wanting to use cash and not do things online.

And with that, it makes life easier for hackers because all our information will be online.
Good post, Dodge, and a timely reminder.

I note that the OP was not, specifically talking about "on line Banking", as such, and I don't think your input was either.

In the OP, a (fake?) Amazon invoice was paid. Amazon might well be wanting to follow that up. I bet Amazon will be anxious to find out how that happened.

In your post, you end up with a Bank employee being willing to accept someone phoning in with a sob story and then the Bank going into denial after giving away someone's money.

It might have been like that but, in my own experience, the bank has required me to come in ,with proof of identity , but I can't say if they always do.

Good post - keeps us aware.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 10:24 AM

Ha ha. My password had been breached 3 times on checking that link. Oh goody I get a 30 day or something free. Than have to pay for their security.
Well they would say that, because they want my cash.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

12-09-2020, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Ha ha. My password had been breached 3 times on checking that link. Oh goody I get a 30 day or something free. Than have to pay for their security.
Well they would say that, because they want my cash.
It's a donation web site.

A company might well want to pay monthly but not required by us occasional users.

If your password has been breached 3 times, you might want to consider changing it.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
It's a donation web site.

A company might well want to pay monthly but not required by us occasional users.

If your password has been breached 3 times, you might want to consider changing it.
It does not say which password has been hacked. I have quite a few, for different applications. Any purchases are only done via PayPal. If I can’t use PayPal, I don’t buy.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:04 AM

Call me sceptical Ted, but would putting your email address into a site we know nothing about, be the the first breach of your address?.... Nooooo Thanks.....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

12-09-2020, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Call me sceptical Ted, but would putting your email address into a site we know nothing about, be the the first breach of your address?.... Nooooo Thanks.....
OGF,

True, but it is very well known in the trade.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top