Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pamela
New Member!
Harrogate, UK
Pamela is female 

05-09-2020, 01:47 PM

Tomato help

I got 3 tomato plants earlier this year and they've grown really well and I have lots of tomatoes on them. However, they are quite small (the size of cherry tomatoes). Do tomatoes carry on growing in size after they've turned red or will they remain the same size? Or is it because its their first year that they are small? Or some other reason? Also, I don't know when I should pick them?

It's not as simple as I thought

Pamela
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 01:57 PM

Re: Tomato help

Sounds like you do have cherry tomato plants Pam and yes, when they turn red they are ready for eating and will grow no bigger.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pamela ->
I got 3 tomato plants earlier this year and they've grown really well and I have lots of tomatoes on them. However, they are quite small (the size of cherry tomatoes). Do tomatoes carry on growing in size after they've turned red or will they remain the same size? Or is it because its their first year that they are small? Or some other reason? Also, I don't know when I should pick them?

Pamela

Hello Pamela, I agree with Barry, you must have bought cherry tomatoes.
But all tomatoes flower, then start growing fruits, and finally ripen as they become full grown and ready to eat.
I'm guessing they didn't have a label when you bought them perhaps?

Also, your comment about maybe it's because it's the first year - well tomatos are not perennials, they are only annual plants, so only last for one season.
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 03:13 PM

Although you may be able to coax two or more years out of them but this wouldn't be financially beneficial.
Pamela
New Member!
Harrogate, UK
Pamela is female 

05-09-2020, 03:21 PM

They were labelled with someone's name so I didn't know what they were going to be.

So does that mean the whole plant will die after one year, or will they only produce tomatoes for one year?

Sorry for being such a dunce.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 04:08 PM

Pamela
Do not be too generous with watering or the skins will split.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 04:54 PM

They were labelled with someone's name so I didn't know what they were going to be.

So does that mean the whole plant will die after one year, or will they only produce tomatoes for one year?

Sorry for being such a dunce.
The plants are annuals, which means they germinate, grow, fruit, then die in the space of a year, so when the plants have finished fruiting then throw them on the compost heap and start afresh with new seed next year.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 05:54 PM

Marge says that once they've gone red they won't get any bigger. It depends on the variety as to how red they'll go.
As Barry said, they are annuals so every year is their first year!
When to pick them depends upon their variety, but her advice is to pick them when they've gone red and see how they taste.

I might add that I'm just passing on what Marge has said.
I know nothing!
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 07:38 PM

Most of my tomatoes started off normal size but now nearly every plant is covered in marble size fruit.
I thought it might be due to the fluctuations in temperature we've had this summer
Pamela
New Member!
Harrogate, UK
Pamela is female 

05-09-2020, 08:55 PM

Thank you every for your advice.

One last question, can I grow new tomato plants from cuttings or do they have to be grown from seed?

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top