Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2020, 09:07 PM

Re: Tomato help

Originally Posted by Pamela ->
Thank you every for your advice.

One last question, can I grow new tomato plants from cuttings or do they have to be grown from seed?

Thanks again
Marge says:
You can grow them from cuttings, but they won't overwinter.
So when you are pruning your tomatoes in the early summer you can plant the cuttings and they should grow easily into a new tomato plant. However all tomato plants will die in the autumn and certainly won't survive the frosts.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2020, 11:44 AM

You can have small fruit from a larger variety. I've found feeding them every so often helps the fruit to grow. Depends on the quality of seed, soil too and the position they are in. Ours have flourished at the sheltered side of the house but they didn't grow so well on the patio. Adding compost to the top can also help. (all potted plants like this not just tomatoes!)

But I have found tomatoes are a very fussy plant. Particularly about position.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 05:02 PM

I seem to have perfected the technique of growing evergreen tomatoes. I think the only way these will turn red at this stage of the game is if I paint them

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I seem to have perfected the technique of growing evergreen tomatoes. I think the only way these will turn red at this stage of the game is if I paint them

Marge says, put them in a warm place next to a ripening banana!

That's what she did, and all her green ones went red.

Always do what Marge says. I do, anyway.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Marge says, put them in a warm place next to a ripening banana!

That's what she did, and all her green ones went red.

Always do what Marge says. I do, anyway.

Funnily enough JBR, I hung two bananas in my little polythene growhouse, and the tomatoes did ripen - but, I don't know if they would have ripened anyway, do I.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

06-10-2020, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Funnily enough JBR, I hung two bananas in my little polythene growhouse, and the tomatoes did ripen - but, I don't know if they would have ripened anyway, do I.
Yes, this article seems to confirm it.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/ripen-...nas-64916.html
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 07:43 PM

I had banana skins hanging around everywhere in the polytunnel but they didn't make them ripen. Quite a few of the cherry tomatoes went orange and taste ok though.

I sliced some of those big green tomatoes and fried them in oil along with a sliced up courgette. Sprinkled an Oxo cube over them and it all tasted good, so they won't go to waste.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top