Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 11:21 AM

Cruising off the Agenda?

Cruise ships are being dismantled and sold as scrap metal due to the coronavirus pandemic all but destroying the global cruise industry.

Earlier this month, aerial footage shot by drones showed workers stripping walls, windows, floors and railings from several vessels docked in Aliaga, a town 45 kilometres north of Izmir on Turkey's west coast.

Three more ships are set to join five already being dismantled.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...id-19/12752382
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 12:02 PM

Re: Cruising off the Agenda?

I can think of nothing worse than being encased in a ship with people I have never met or probably would not choose to meet. Yes, cut them up and use the steel for something better.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 12:25 PM

What a waste........

They should do the same with passenger aircraft too...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
What a waste........

They should do the same with passenger aircraft too...
I think they are doing Bob, many airlines have now "retired" many, if not most of their four engined aircraft such as A380s and B747s for mothballing and for scrapping of the oldest. Many of the twin engined aircraft will no doubt meet the same fate, sad times in aviation...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 12:42 PM

HI

To each their own Foxy.

A cruise would be Hell for me, all that water and no fishing.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I think they are doing Bob, many airlines ho9ave now "retired" most of their four engined aircraft such as A380s and B747s for mothballing and for scrapping of the oldest. Many of the twin engined aircraft will no doubt meet the same fate, sad times in aviation...
Yes it is sad for the aviation industry, and all the employees Barry, but it could lead the way for the UK to be more independent. If ships returned to being the preferred mode of travel I don't think we would be in the state we find ourselves in, both with covid and pollution.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-10-2020, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
HI

To each their own Foxy.

A cruise would be Hell for me, all that water and no fishing.
Didn't someone famous say "The British are a nation of Sailors" Swim?...

'Britannia Rules the Waves'...Or at least we used to do...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I can think of nothing worse than being encased in a ship with people I have never met or probably would not choose to meet. Yes, cut them up and use the steel for something better.
I can understand that I used to feel the same way. However as the saying goes "don't knock it until you tried it"

I was terrfied of being on a vast ocean but the only way to see anything reasonably cheaply is with a cruise.
My solution was go on a river cruise, at least the shore was close by just in case. So it was a trip on the River Nile and had a fantastic time.
Fom then on cruises held no fear for me and been on several.
I suppose you have a fear of flying as well ? many people do until they have tried it .

Also I don't suppose you like staying in a hotel as that is the same as on a cruise ship but far worse? In a hotel and it is raining you are stuck in a lounge with nothing to do. Completely different from a cruise where there is always some sort of entertainment or talks or demonstrations/dances to see/take part in.

it is so crowded on a cruise ship like this video

or fight for a seat

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 02:34 PM

want to dance? the dance floor is really packed out . this is just one of many

evening swim maybe?

so whre are all the people you don't want to be packed in with?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
want to dance? the dance floor is really packed out . this is just one of many

evening swim maybe?

so whre are all the people you don't want to be packed in with?
Gone ashore for the allotted 6 hrs l suppose ??
I never enjoyed Butlins holiday camps either !!
Perhaps Im just a miserable sod??

Donkeyman! 👎😟😟👎

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top