Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2020, 11:41 AM

Top five clouds spotted by Weather Watchers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/54614592

By Matt Taylor
BBC Weather

To spend a few minutes just watching clouds gives you an incredible insight into the fluidity of the atmosphere around us. Once you can "read" them, you begin to unlock the clues to what is actually happening in the skies, and that in turn can tell you what type of weather might be heading your way.
3. Altocumulus lenticularis

Lenticular clouds can take on the shape of the landscape beneath them, which makes for a dramatic shot. This image, showing the Isle of Rum, won the Pic of the Season Summer 2020 vote.
Just ..... stunning .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2020, 12:52 PM

Re: Top five clouds spotted by Weather Watchers

I agree with Matt there is something special about clouds....Magical and mystical, and I've seen some unusual ones in my time while out walking and running. Only managed to snap a couple of them though. Nice find Omah...

Taken out of the van window while on the M1 when I was on a delivery....

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2020, 04:00 PM

The strangest ones I've seen personally are mammatus clouds. I posted this photo (taken in Worthing) a while ago but shown again because it fits the thread..

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2020, 04:15 PM

Taken a couple of years ago, this looked like someone had been sweeping the sky.

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2020, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
The strangest ones I've seen personally are mammatus clouds. I posted this photo (taken in Worthing) a while ago but shown again because it fits the thread..

Mammatus, eh ..... ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammat...arent%20clouds.

Mammatus (mamma or mammatocumulus), meaning "mammary cloud", is a cellular pattern of pouches hanging underneath the base of a cloud, typically cumulonimbus rainclouds, although they may be attached to other classes of parent clouds.
How rude ......
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-11-2020, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Taken a couple of years ago, this looked like someone had been sweeping the sky.

Cirrus fibratus .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-11-2020, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I agree with Matt there is something special about clouds....Magical and mystical, and I've seen some unusual ones in my time while out walking and running. Only managed to snap a couple of them though. Nice find Omah...

Taken out of the van window while on the M1 when I was on a delivery....

Nimbostratus .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2020, 10:05 PM

How about this one Omah....?
It reminds me of the film 'Deep Impact' where all the meteorites burned up at the end as they entered the earths atmosphere....

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

06-11-2020, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
How about this one Omah....?
It reminds me of the film 'Deep Impact' where all the meteorites burned up at the end as they entered the earths atmosphere....

Definitely Cirrus .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 12:19 PM

All you ever wanted to know about clouds

I have a friend who is a storm chaser he drives hundreds of km chasing storms to get films of them. His ideal to to find and film a super cell, he also goes to the USA in pursuit of this hobby. His car is a mass of dings where it has been hit by hail stones from the storms he chases.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top