Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 12:43 PM

Re: New EU " OFFER"??

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have to disagree.

If a variant which was 70% more transmisable was deteced abroad I would have shut our Borders.
Then we must be grateful that it isn't up to you, or to people like you.
Common sense must prevail.

That is the only sensible thing to do.
When it is highly probable that this is already rife in your own country but you don't know because you don't have the ability to find out?
That is not being "sensible".

I despise the French, I have posted previously that I was banned from negotiating with them because of my aggressive attitude.

I did not consider my attitude to them aggressive.

It was my job to get the best for the UK and sod the French.
That has nothing to do with us and TBH is nothing to be proud of and publicised.
The ban you received at work shows that your superiors had so much concern that their actions of banning you were called for.
It is also suggestive that you might have characteristics which may not be wholly appropriate within forums like this one.

Far too much criticism of Civil Servants when the instructions came from our own Politicians.
If these civil servants acted outwith their remit as you did then what do you expect?
Civil Servants are, like the rest of us, employed to do as the employer requests.
Not to do as they wish or what they think is best.
If Civil Servants do not like their instuctions then they should leave their job, just like any employee who doesn't like doing what their employer askes them to do.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
This traffic congestion shows up the weaknesses of relying on
Just one port for most of our supplies !
Although this crisis was not caused by Brexit directly it shows what
an enemy could accomplish without firing a shot if they so desired?

All the more reason to disentangle ourselves from the present
arrangements imo !!

Donkeyman! 👎👎
A real problem that should have been obvious by now. Long tail backs reported at Harwich to avoid the blockade in Dover.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Sorry to disagree Swims. Macron was using this ban as a weapon to kick the UK in the teeth. The ban could have been ended 24 hours earlier when the UK agreed to testing haulage drivers with the 20 minute test, but no, Macron was still insisting on a test that took 24-48 hours for results. I believe it was only strong arm tactics by VDL & Co, plus the French Haulage Union Boss that he knew he couldn't continue with his sick plot.
Couldn't agree more.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Then we must be grateful that it isn't up to you, or to people like you.
Common sense must prevail.

When it is highly probable that this is already rife in your own country but you don't know because you don't have the ability to find out?
That is not being "sensible".

That has nothing to do with us and TBH is nothing to be proud of and publicised.
The ban you received at work shows that your superiors had so much concern that their actions of banning you were called for.
It is also suggestive that you might have characteristics which may not be wholly appropriate within forums like this one.

If these civil servants acted outwith their remit as you did then what do you expect?
Civil Servants are, like the rest of us, employed to do as the employer requests.
Not to do as they wish or what they think is best.
If Civil Servants do not like their instuctions then they should leave their job, just like any employee who doesn't like doing what their employer askes them to do
I wonder how many Civil Servants, when they retire on their lovely public funded pensions, will try to start up their own Business?

And if they did, would they put up with a paid employee refusing to get his product, or service, out there because they disagreed with principals within the package?

I think not.

You can't, really, privatise the CS, though. Who would want to manage all those people who don't give a stuff for who pays them.

I think if you seperate out the Police, and the Fire Service, there's not much left which is viable.

I'm even getting more and more worried about the police!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I wonder how many Civil Servants, when they retire on their lovely public funded pensions, will try to start up their own Business?

And if they did, would they put up with a paid employee refusing to get his product, or service, out there because they disagreed with principals within the package?

I think not.

You can't, really, privatise the CS, though. Who would want to manage all those people who don't give a stuff for who pays them.

I think if you seperate out the Police, and the Fire Service, there's not much left which is viable.

I'm even getting more and more worried about the police!

So there is merit in political parties taking their own CV's with them
when they get elected then ??
What are the pitfalls??

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
EU "offers " UK further talks beyond Jan 1 st ??
Don't they know that would be illegal under UK law??
Please put an end to this crap Boris. !!
Oh how kind of them. It's nice of them to give us further opportunities to beg them for something that most of us don't want. Perhaps there's some logic in there?

As for Dover - Calais, yes I think I'd like that to be a thing of the past. Harwich - Rotterdam would be better. I don't think the Dutch would be quite to aggressive to do something like Micron is doing, especially when such a route would benefit them as well as us.

I wonder whether the locusts would up sticks and move to Rotterdam too. Probably not, as travelling illegally in the back of a truck would entail a longer journey cooped up in such a small space. More might die en route.

I think what we should really be doing now is extending and enlarging our port facilities with a view to trading with the rest of the world. As we trade less and less with the EU, I wonder whether we might see a re-birth of places like Bristol and Liverpool as freight shipping locations.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2020, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I wonder whether the locusts would up sticks and move to Rotterdam too. Probably not, as travelling illegally in the back of a truck would entail a longer journey cooped up in such a small space. More might die en route.

-snip-

I wonder whether we might see a re-birth of places like Bristol and Liverpool as freight shipping locations.
39 Vietnamese tried that on the Zeebrugge-Purfleet crossing and we all know how badly that ended for them.

Liverpool docks are being mightily upgraded as we speak ready to take ever bigger container ships. https://www.peelports.com/campaigns/liverpool2

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top