Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 08:16 AM

I have a new cousin!

Email this morning from a guy in France - confirming he and I are cousins. I wrote to him some months ago after finding his possible connection on a DNA website. My French is so terrible I have to write in English and he's finally responded and has identified the link! I love this genealogy/DNA hobby!

What a lovely Brexit gift.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 10:29 AM

Re: I have a new cousin!

Great news!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 10:51 AM

How exciting. There will be lots to catch up on.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
How exciting. There will be lots to catch up on.
Thanks. Catching up may be a bit difficult as he's French and my French is very franglais.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 01:34 PM

Congratulations. You can never have too many cousins.

C'nest pas un problem por parley-vousing en Franglais.

I would run whatever you write through at least two separate translation programmes first though.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

26-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Congratulations. You can never have too many cousins.

C'nest pas un problem por parley-vousing en Franglais.

I would run whatever you write through at least two separate translation programmes first though.
His English is great so I've replied in English - safer than my dodgy French or translations.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
His English is great so I've replied in English - safer than my dodgy French or translations.

Sounds like a perfect excuse to start learning a new skill, Lindy.

How exciting though, well done you.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

26-12-2020, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sounds like a perfect excuse to start learning a new skill, Lindy.

How exciting though, well done you.
I've tried so many times.......just cannot do it!!

The first French cousins I found, I sent an email to them (having found their addresses on a genealogical site) and basically said:
"Je suis cousine"

Reply I received pretty quickly was:
"vous ete non mon cousine. Je suis non Angleterre cousine!"
I sent a link to my website: with "Oui! Vous ete mon cousine!"..........followed by a stunned response admitting that perhaps I was a cousin after all!!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 03:27 PM

Oh dear.

I daresay you'll sort it one way or the other, or at least have fun trying.
Good luck.
rcs60h
Bedfordshire, UK
rcs60h is male  rcs60h has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 05:45 PM

I had a similar experience while trying to do my family tree, the connection was a complete fluke, in that I came across a 5 year old post requesting details of a family that lived at a particular address which was where my long dead grandparents had lived. Anyway, it turned out that an aunt of mine in the 1940's had had 2 baby daughters adopted. None of my family from that generation were still alive to ask about it but no family members of my generation knew anything of this happening.
Both I and the possible cousins gave each other details that could confirm the relationship, after which we arranged to meet and exchange some life details and on meeting we could see family facial connections as well. We are still in touch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top