Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 01:30 PM

Re: Return devolved powers to Westminster

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think it is a daft idea to sign this petition. Why not campaign for an English Parliament? somewhere in the Midlands say? Gawd you could even become a democracy by getting rid of the swill in the House of Lords!

Reduce Westminster's influence to matters such foreign affairs and matters involving the UK as a whole eg industrial relations, electoral matters. taxation etc.
I suspect that you only think it daft because you like to disagree with most things relating to the UK, and not for any logical reason.

You want to create another layer of bureaucracy?

No thanks; we want less not more.

You might have missed it, your being so far away & all, but Boris has plans to reform the HoL and he's promised to do so.
In fact it looks like he's started already (read the link below if youy can.)
But that argument is for another thread.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...tion-wp08hb86c
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I think you should be apologising to the Scots rather than condemning them. The majority showed loyalty to the UK in their independence referendum, and then they get stabbed in the back by being dragged out of the EU. Devolved power is the least they are entitled to.

I don't have any particularly sympathy towards Scotland, by the way, I'm just trying to think about it from their point of view.

Well said Harbal. You don't often see empathy on this forum.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
Well said Harbal. You don't often see empathy on this forum.
Especially from those who are determined to ignore the majority.
Have you no reasonable comment to make regarding that majority in our country?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Especially from those who are determined to ignore the majority.
Have you no reasonable comment to make regarding that majority in our country?
Oh dear, I seem to be embroiled in a controversy.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

03-01-2021, 03:11 PM

Oh dear, I seem to be embroiled in a controversy.
There's no controversy Harbal.
But it was an excellent example of how the disingenuous nationalist insists upon being heard when they in reality have nothing relevant to say.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
There's no controversy Harbal.
But it was an excellent example of how the disingenuous nationalist insists upon being heard when they in reality have nothing relevant to say.
I assume by "disingenuous nationalist" you mean someone who doesn't agree with you. I know how you feel; the disingenuous Brexiteers had a similar effect on me.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

03-01-2021, 03:43 PM

I assume by "disingenuous nationalist" you mean someone who doesn't agree with you. I know how you feel; the disingenuous Brexiteers had a similar effect on me.
No.
Not someone who disagrees with me, but someone who disagrees with the majority.
I am not one of those with a flawed or selfish vision of what democracy truly entails.

Your "disingenuous Brexiteers" were such a majority and I could ask you equally if your own feelings were caused by an inability to respect a majority's decision purely because of your own disagreement as a result of your personal opinion?
Democracy when you agree with the outcome but otherwise no thanks.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 03:53 PM

There are nine regions of England and all but two have populations greater than that of Scotland. All of them have a greater population than Wales.

Why, then, is it not possible for each of these to have its own devolved parliament, if such things are good enough for Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland?

Oh! I hear you argue "but Scotland is a 'country'". So what? Wales isn't a 'country'; it's a principality, yet it deserves a devolved parliament.

I'd be interested to hear any good reasons why the English regions shouldn't each have a devolved parliament to represent their individual needs.

I'm sure that Tony B. Liar could come up with some ideas, as devolved parliaments were his bright idea.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Regions.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	14439  
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 03:59 PM

Devolved parliaments should pay for their devolved policies through their own taxation systems. Scotland in particular should stop getting extra money from the UK tax payer when they should be raising their taxes to pay for them themselves. The voter should know who is paying for the stupid stunts and ideological bull$hit from the SNP.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Devolved parliaments should pay for their devolved policies through their own taxation systems. Scotland in particular should stop getting extra money from the UK tax payer when they should be raising their taxes to pay for them themselves. The voter should know who is paying for the stupid stunts and ideological bull$hit from the SNP.
That would be a very good idea, and not just for Scotland.

Look at Saddick in Londonistan. He wastes enormous amounts of money, yet is heavily subsidised from central coffers. If the population of London had to pay for his idiotic plans, he'd be assassinated long before he could be kicked out!

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top