Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 11:41 AM

Bare root plants.

I have just ordered some bare root roses and some bare root strawberries. Both a suitable variety for planting in pots.

I read that bare root plants can be planted anytime of the year in pots so I decided to go for it now.

I've looked on You Tube and know how to plant then - soak the roots etc but what I don't know about is aftercare!

When I've planted them in their pots in the middle of January - do I keep them in the cold greenhouse? Do I give them much water - My instinct is not to water much as they are dormant but I need advise from gardeners on here.

I'm really looking forward to seeing them come to life in the spring & I want to give them the best chance.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 12:08 PM

Re: Bare root plants.

Not too much water, no reason not to be outside, but if its really cold and frosty where you are, a cold frame or greenhouse will be ok.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 12:19 PM

Hi Carol my strawberries were bare rooted as are the new raspberry canes I planted recently which are already sprouting green shoots.

Strawberries do not like the crown to be buried it should be level with the soil.

When planting anything new these days I always use 'Rootgrow Mycorrhizal Fungi' and my plants always seem to get off to a good start.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantworks-...882353&sr=8-11
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 12:59 PM

Should add don't forget to put grit/ chippings in the bottom of the pots to help drainage.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 02:46 PM

I'm so pleased. That's everything I needed to know.

Meg I've just ordered some Rootgrow Mycorrhizal Fungi

Thank you both so much.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

21-01-2021, 01:21 PM

My bare root strawberries have arrived today & I'm all ready to set them in their pots.

I'm unsure about watering though. Do I give them a good drink after planting or keep them fairly dry?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 01:33 PM

If the pots are outside you shouldn't need to water at all until they start to show new growth in the spring, and even then don't drown them just keep them moist. Another tip for the strawberries though is not to over fertilise them, as it just encourages new foliage rather than fruit. Other than that they are pretty hardy plants and will just need protection from the birds and slugs when they start to fruit.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

21-01-2021, 02:02 PM

Thanks Barry. I am going to keep them in my cold greenhouse until they show signs of life. I may give them just a light watering if you think that's ok.

The potting compost I'm going to plant them in already has fertiliser in it. Is that ok?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

22-01-2021, 12:19 AM

They're all planted up now & spending the first night in my cold greenhouse. I'm really excited to see how they fare..

I wasn't sure whether to give them a good drink of water after planting so I opted for a light watering. If anybody on here tells me I should have given them a soaking I'll give them one tomorrow.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

06-02-2021, 06:10 PM

Feeling thrilled to see sign of life on my strawberries. Now all I've got to do is see them through to maturity.

I wonder if we'll get some strawberries this year?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top