Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 12:03 PM

Accents & Dialects Can be ard to git?

I've been around the UK quite a lot, and can understand the accents & dialects of most of the inhabitants.

For me, the hardest to "get" have been from the West Country, then the Highlands and then Northern Ireland.

It must be REALLY difficult, though, for some visitors from abroad.

Imagine how they must struggle, for example, if the arrive in Liverpool and drive directly east across to the Yorkshire Coast?

There must be, about, 10 different strong accents on that route.

I bet many of them don't even come here because of that?

Still, I guess it's the same in other countries.

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 12:29 PM

Re: Accents & Dialects Can be ard to git?

Thee casn't tell I young 'un!

I met someone from Burnley and couldn't understand a word he said!
I don't watch Lorraine Kelly because I don't understand her either!

Of courze we'em speakin' prapper in Zummerzet s'know.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 12:43 PM

I wasn't born in Devon, only came here when I was grown up, but I do tend to write 'back along' instead of then, probably the only phrase I did pick up. Never was any good at accents, guess mine is still Middlesex.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 12:45 PM

Ey up lad, it thee comes to yaarkshere daint worry, we’ll Sort summat out, tha nos ,
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 12:52 PM

I'm from Yorkshire - I don't have an accent.

The thing with Northern accents is that all Southerners think they are the same. They aren't. A Yorkie can tell a Lankie accent straight away and vice versa.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

The thing with Northern accents is that all Southerners think they are the same. They aren't. A Yorkie can tell a Lankie accent straight away and vice versa.
Someone living in Salford would have problems with the accent 5 miles further up, near Bolton! (puffing up t'brew = walking up the hill!)
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 01:22 PM

Mrs d00d, a bleedin foreigner, enjoyed Last Tango in Halifax, not just the accent but the social niceties too.

complete pillock, dickhead .... two she won't let go of, and I'm the one on the receiving end.
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 01:25 PM

I remember a taxi journey from Bearsden to central Glasgow.
The cabbie ( as they do ) started a bit of chit chat. I couldn't understand a bloody word he was saying, it worked both ways...I think we both gave up on any jovial banter.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 01:27 PM

I have always thought it strange travelling up the M1 - same road but with different accents at the services.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top