Join for free
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2015, 04:25 PM

Diversity - nice word - poorly practiced?

Lots of talk but little practice. The attached article is about Greenland were climate change is affecting the ice flows and life of polar bears and Inuits.

what struck me reading this was Australia is attempting to apply the same principles as the Danes did with the Inuits, with our rich Aboriginal communities.

Our PM has called 'our problem' with remote Aboriginal communities a 'life style choice' that we the tax payer can no longer afford. The Danes said the same and in the process caused the closure of many remote Inuit communities.

The arguments for the Danes and Liberal party of OZ is based on finance only. The rich diversities of their nations is ignored and so we lose ancient cultures of this planet so that major cities and towns can have a better life style.

We lose so much IMO as a race of peoples

https://au.totaltravel.yahoo.com/new...-of-greenland/
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2015, 04:46 PM

Re: Diversity - nice word - poorly practiced?

Couldn't agree more we need differences IMO just to keep us interesting. Sad day when money does the talking.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2015, 06:38 PM

There is a balance to be made though isnt there...

I mean if I say I want to live away from everyone where my word is law in my own little town but that I expect to be provided with all mod cons to make my retreat comfortable isnt that rather defeating the object of being away from the modern world?

By all means leave native people or any people for that matter to live the life they chose where they wish to (as long as they are not hurting anyone) but then leave them to live a native life.
If they still get everything shipped in its not a native lifestyle at all really is it?
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2015, 08:20 PM

It's like what the US did to Native Americans.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2015, 11:43 PM

Don't get me started on this, I'll end up giving myself a coronary!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2015, 01:17 AM

We also have 'white ozzies' who live in the hill regions of Victoria in beautiful wooded surroundings which have become sort after tourist attractions. These too are "life style choices" BUT when the fires rage through the forests and threaten the "life style choices" of these white ozzies every fire fighting force in the country is utilized to save them. Hypocrisy in my view - let them save themselves - after all it is a "life style choice!"
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2015, 08:03 AM

The "Greenland" issue is really centred on resources. Though one might not immediately expect it with all that ice, Greenland is rich in mining resources inc iron ore and magnetite etc. Countries like UK and China are trying to get in there to get licenses for exploration and production mining. This whole "race" to secure the most lucrative potential areas obviously threatens existing Greenland life and cultures. It's not that mining itself is going to harm or destroy native land, it's simply that as other countries pile in to do the work, literally hundreds and thousands of foreign workers will flood into small Greenland towns and effectively take over. Everything will change for the Greenland locals if that is allowed to happen. Infrastructure will change, amenities will change, transport will increase and so on. The average local native won't benefit much. It is the governments and corrupt officials who will pocket the backhanders and in so doing sign the forms to allow foreigners to flood in.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

31-07-2015, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The "Greenland" issue is really centred on resources. Though one might not immediately expect it with all that ice, Greenland is rich in mining resources inc iron ore and magnetite etc. Countries like UK and China are trying to get in there to get licenses for exploration and production mining. This whole "race" to secure the most lucrative potential areas obviously threatens existing Greenland life and cultures. It's not that mining itself is going to harm or destroy native land, it's simply that as other countries pile in to do the work, literally hundreds and thousands of foreign workers will flood into small Greenland towns and effectively take over. Everything will change for the Greenland locals if that is allowed to happen. Infrastructure will change, amenities will change, transport will increase and so on. The average local native won't benefit much. It is the governments and corrupt officials who will pocket the backhanders and in so doing sign the forms to allow foreigners to flood in.
oh really realist - and the role of the Danish Govt is?????????????????

1. stand back and ignore
2. take bribes
3. try to protect the Inuits because of their rich culture
4. just join in with the rest and start digging

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top