Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 11:16 AM

Do You Use ‘Forum Lingo’?

Over the years, I have noticed on forum threads that there are many ‘buzz’ words or, lingo used in posts.

Using initials. IMO etc. Putting ‘dear’ in front of husband, wife, daughter, son.

Finishing posts with, ‘l hope this helps’. ‘Thank You for sharing’.

Current in words, starting a sentence, ie. ‘Indeed’.

Well, that’s all l can think of for now!

Have you noticed any over the years or, maybe you haven’t?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 11:24 AM

Re: Do You Use ‘Forum Lingo’?

Hi

I do not do email abbreviations or text speak.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I do not do email abbreviations or text speak.
Thank You for sharing, Swimmy.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 12:05 PM

Well...I don't have any experience of "Forum Lingo" other than here, but I did find it amusing when people referred to their spouses as Mr/Mrs....whatever their forum name is. So I just followed suit when referring to my husband. I much prefer it to SO, or DH, DD, DS etc...especially if you've had a row or something...I wouldn't be calling them Dear anything!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 12:05 PM

TIA - thanks in advance
ETA - edited to add. This one confused me for ages because ETA to me means estimated time of arrival

I've seen forum posts (elsewhere, I hasten to add), where it's almost like cracking a code to understand half of what's being said. People who talk about their health conditions, or those of their DGC (!) using just the initials and expecting everyone to be familiar with the terms
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I much prefer it to SO, or DH, DD, DS etc...especially if you've had a row or something...I wouldn't be calling them Dear anything!
Ah but then the D stands for damn
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Ah but then the D stands for damn
haha! I didn't think of that!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

19-05-2021, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
TIA - thanks in advance
ETA - edited to add. This one confused me for ages because ETA to me means estimated time of arrival

I've seen forum posts (elsewhere, I hasten to add), where it's almost like cracking a code to understand half of what's being said. People who talk about their health conditions, or those of their DGC (!) using just the initials and expecting everyone to be familiar with the terms
Bathsheba, What is DGC? I haven’t seen that one before.

I have noticed the use of ‘meds’ now when referring to medicines. It sounds very American!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

19-05-2021, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Well...I don't have any experience of "Forum Lingo" other than here, but I did find it amusing when people referred to their spouses as Mr/Mrs....whatever their forum name is. So I just followed suit when referring to my husband. I much prefer it to SO, or DH, DD, DS etc...especially if you've had a row or something...I wouldn't be calling them Dear anything!
Pixie, l can’t work out ‘SO’? Is it ‘S-d Off’?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

19-05-2021, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Pixie, l can’t work out ‘SO’? Is it ‘S-d Off’?
Haha! No Arty, I think it means Significant Other...as in someone special that you are not married to.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top