Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 02:27 PM

Re: Why do we judge

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Would you also apply the same processes to other establishments such as art galleries and museums? (obviously their stock can't be rented).
I would certainly want an entry fee to cover the costs of the places!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Glad you’re not in charge!! I couldn’t be without my library, and nor, I expect, many other avid readers.

Leave our libraries alone, TAT.
Fine! Then pay for them. Why should I when I don't use them and there is no doubt that most people don't.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Yes but does that mean that an academic is superior to a cleaner say..?
That is a great question. Especially if the academic works as a cleaner part time. So if they bit you on the bottom ( see previous post about academics who bite people on their bottom) do you complain to the head cleaner or the dean of faculty?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Most people wouldn't know what an academic was if one bit them on the backside. For one thing it's mostly used as an adjective. When it comes to being asked "what do you do?" I generally play down what my job was/is or go totally outré as in very crude and involving immorality of one sort of another. It's a good way to avoid boring people!
So what was/ is it then. Your job? You dont have to play it down. We wont judge you. Youre among friends. Even if some of us are.....aaaarggh..Orstraylyan...
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 02:48 PM

In my years of working in manufacturing, you get to meet thousands up thousands of people over the years due to various reasons, some have just finished school and it's their first job, some have just finished university and looking for work to tie them over till they find work that is relevant to their university degree. Then you get those that have been in other types of employment or have been self employed and have turned to temping agencies to get work. All these kinds of people never stay long thereby getting to see lot's of different people and I can tell you this from personal experience, it's a person's upbringing that makes them who they are, not the jobs they've done.

Due to the amount of temps that used to work in the company over the many years I'd been there, I've met many people from professional backgrounds, people with academic qualifications coming out of their ear holes and they have been the biggest a-holes on planet earth. I have also met the same kind of professional and they've been the nicest people on planet earth. The same applies to all types of office worker, managers, senior managers, directors, ex-CEO's, ex-company owners, all different types of retail workers and other manufacturing workers. They all have the same types, ones who are the biggest a-holes you'll ever meet and also some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.
keezoy
Australia

25-07-2021, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Would you also apply the same processes to other establishments such as art galleries and museums? (obviously their stock can't be rented).
Good question Dex..0
keezoy
Australia

25-07-2021, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
But what is the per capita cost of providing hard copies of books plus costs of the library itself to include staffing, heating, insurances etc? Hard copies of books can be rented by mail so a library is an expensive thing indeed.

Other facilities that some libraries provide such as internet access should be delivered by the town hall if there is a call for it. Libraries are very much yesterday and with the ubiquitous net an unaffordable and unnecessary thing.
So when you close all the libraries, what would you do with the books?..Fair question? I mean if books, are still available for rent they have to be kept somewhere. There still needs to be an administrative process. What about the millions of people that actually love books...and libraries. And loathe kindles and reading everything on a screen? I buy most of the books i read. Because i can afford to. By your reasoning are poor people who cant afford books..or computers... not entitled to read?
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
When I worked in banking we had an elderley cleaner who did her job well & was friendly. She retired, so on her last day of working for us we all made party food and had drinks in the bank after closing. We bought presents for her & she was delighted. But we had another surpise......
when she went outside to go home our manager had arranged with our customer Rolls Royce Motors to have a chauffer driven Rolls Royce & a big bouquet waiting to take her home. She said it had been the best day of her life and all 15 bank staff had to wipe a tear from their eyes!
Twink, that’s such an endearing story

*no, that’s just something in my eye*
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
In my years of working in manufacturing, you get to meet thousands up thousands of people over the years due to various reasons, some have just finished school and it's their first job, some have just finished university and looking for work to tie them over till they find work that is relevant to their university degree. Then you get those that have been in other types of employment or have been self employed and have turned to temping agencies to get work. All these kinds of people never stay long thereby getting to see lot's of different people and I can tell you this from personal experience, it's a person's upbringing that makes them who they are, not the jobs they've done.

Due to the amount of temps that used to work in the company over the many years I'd been there, I've met many people from professional backgrounds, people with academic qualifications coming out of their ear holes and they have been the biggest a-holes on planet earth. I have also met the same kind of professional and they've been the nicest people on planet earth.The same applies to all types of office worker, managers, senior managers, directors, ex-CEO's, ex-company owners, all different types of retail workers and other manufacturing workers. They all have the same types, ones who are the biggest a-holes you'll ever meet and also some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.
I agree with your sentiments Dodge
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

25-07-2021, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
So when you close all the libraries, what would you do with the books?..Fair question? I mean if books, are still available for rent they have to be kept somewhere. There still needs to be an administrative process. What about the millions of people that actually love books...and libraries. And loathe kindles and reading everything on a screen? I buy most of the books i read. Because i can afford to. By your reasoning are poor people who cant afford books..or computers... not entitled to read?

Pulp the majority of old books. People who can't afford to buy books? Rent them or let them do without. We can't afford to provide everything people want especially when the cost of trying to do so is so very high per capita.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top