Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 10:42 AM

Re: Adopting a retired greyhound

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
Annie retired from racing when she was 4 years old and her trainer kept her for another year before handing her over to the Greyhound Trust. She did live in a domestic situation for a couple of weeks but the family who adopted her had another dog and they didn't get on - the other dog kept trying to nip Annie! That is where she learned to walk next to a wheelchair. She was returned to the Greyhound Trust and lived there for a while again until we saw her and knew she was the dog for us. So I think some of the ground work of teaching her to live in a home has already been carried out and we just have to pick up on that.

Margaret, do the Trust keep them in kennels or foster homes?
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Margaret, do the Trust keep them in kennels or foster homes?
The Coventry branch of the Trust, where we went, keep them in kennels. They are very well cared for and are walked twice daily by volunteers.
Oldbod
United Kingdom
Oldbod is female 

19-06-2021, 10:51 AM

A neighbour used to - I think - foster, retired greyhounds, they seemed to be lovely docile dogs. Good for you Margaret.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 10:53 AM

The Coventry branch of the Trust, where we went, keep them in kennels. They are very well cared for and are walked twice daily by volunteers.

I see.
I asked because sometimes kenneled dogs get used to weeing where they want to, they haven't much choice.
So might be an idea to show her the way out to your garden as lesson no. 1.

Not long now, bet you're getting excited.
What a pity Annie doesn't know she will be free tomorrow, but then maybe a surprise is even better.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 11:00 AM

I see.
I asked because sometimes kenneled dogs get used to weeing where they want to, they haven't much choice.
So might be an idea to show her the way out to your garden as lesson no. 1.

Not long now, bet you're getting excited.
What a pity Annie doesn't know she will be free tomorrow, but then maybe a surprise is even better.
I was told to walk her around the garden on her lead as soon as we arrive home and then to take her out, off the lead, every hour and to give her praise and a small treat when she does what is necessary. I think I would have done that anyway but it's good to have it confirmed When she was in a domestic situation for a couple of weeks they said that there were not any 'accidents' so I feel quite positive about that aspect of it all.

I know that Annie is looking forward to me picking her up because the lady who runs the kennels said so in her email ...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 11:07 AM

I was told to walk her around the garden on her lead as soon as we arrive home and then to take her out, off the lead, every hour and to give her praise and a small treat when she does what is necessary. I think I would have done that anyway but it's good to have it confirmed When she was in a domestic situation for a couple of weeks they said that there were not any 'accidents' so I feel quite positive about that aspect of it all.

I know that Annie is looking forward to me picking her up because the lady who runs the kennels said so in her email ...
I never thought it would be possible to get Murtagh trained to go outside (our fault for using puppy pads and newspaper when he was young) but with a bit of perseverance and lots and lots of praise (and a treat) he now knows what to do.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 01:25 PM

Excellent, MargaretF!
I wish you and your husband well with your new dog. I think it is an excellent idea to introduce him (the dog!) being a little more mature rather than an excitable little pup.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

21-06-2021, 09:38 AM

How's is going Margaret?
Hope you all had a peaceful night.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

21-06-2021, 09:51 AM

How's is going Margaret?
Hope you all had a peaceful night.
I'm not sure about the peaceful night's sleep Mups but I live in hopes that tonight's will be better when we can get Annie into a routine! When I got her home yesterday she followed me around the house wherever I went. She had a bed in my room overnight and I was up twice with her to let her into the garden. I am really pleased though that she let me know that she needed to go outside so I'm not complaining. She is much more settled today and is lying asleep on her bed at the moment. It must have been quite a trial for her yesterday beginning with an hour's drive in a strange car when she is used to being transported in a properly equipped van and then going into unfamiliar surroundings ...

I will get some photos later and attempt to put them on here.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

21-06-2021, 09:55 AM

I'm not sure about the peaceful night's sleep Mups but I live in hopes that tonight's will be better when we can get Annie into a routine! When I got her home yesterday she followed me around the house wherever I went. She had a bed in my room overnight and I was up twice with her to let her into the garden. I am really pleased though that she let me know that she needed to go outside so I'm not complaining. She is much more settled today and is lying asleep on her bed at the moment. It must have been quite a trial for her yesterday beginning with an hour's drive in a strange car when she is used to being transported in a properly equipped van and then going into unfamiliar surroundings ...

I will get some photos later and attempt to put them on here.

Doesn't sound a bad start, and as you say, at least she came to tell you she needed out.
I did wonder whether she actually wanted a wee, or whether she was just nudging you for a cuddle and some reassurance, perhaps?

Anyway, best of luck, and hope she brings you much fun and happiness Margaret.
Looking forward to a picture when you get time.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top