Join for free
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 07:14 PM

Can't locate 2 dvd's

There are 2 DVD's which I want to add to my collection BUT they must be region #1 AND have English subtitles.

1.) The Battle of the River Plate
2.) Death on the Nile (Agatha Christies film starring Peter Ustinov)

I have purchased both of them 3 or 4 times but none of them have English subtitles. I have scoured Amazon and Ebay.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	R.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	16256   Click image for larger version

Name:	18797477_so.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	16257  
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 07:51 PM

Re: Can't locate 2 dvd's

That one on the right says Region 1 on our Amazon site but can’t get the back of it up to see if it has subtitles .
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
That one on the right says Region 1 on our Amazon site but can’t get the back of it up to see if it has subtitles .
Yes, that is precisely the problem. As I said, I have purchased it 3 times BUT none of them have subtitles in English. Most recently I contacted a seller from Korea, they CLAIMED it had English subtitles . When it arrived I was delighted to see that it said ENGLISH SUBTITLES ON THE BACK COVER. However, when I went to play it, it did NOT have English subtitles. Grr
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Yes, that is precisely the problem. As I said, I have purchased it 3 times BUT none of them have subtitles in English. Most recently I contacted a seller from Korea, they CLAIMED it had English subtitles . When it arrived I was delighted to see that it said ENGLISH SUBTITLES ON THE BACK COVER. However, when I went to play it, it did NOT have English subtitles. Grr
You could always download it from YouTube using the appropriate tool and then burn it to DVD....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXGz8Ql4G4I
Parable
Canada
Parable is male  Parable has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 11:39 PM

There are 2 DVD's which I want to add to my collection BUT they must be region #1 AND have English subtitles.

1.) The Battle of the River Plate
2.) Death on the Nile (Agatha Christies film starring Peter Ustinov)

I have purchased both of them 3 or 4 times but none of them have English subtitles. I have scoured Amazon and Ebay.
There are many subtitle sites on the web just Google "subtitles" and after you find the subtitle, google "add subtitles to a dvd" for instructions to did it yourself.
bakerman
Mexico

13-07-2021, 12:16 AM

Judd, Thank you very much for the link. However, that youtube copy has a very bad subtitle system. Could be one of the old ones that used a computerized way in putting subtitles in. At least 40% of the words are missing or totally wrong.
bakerman
Mexico

13-07-2021, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Parable ->
There are many subtitle sites on the web just Google "subtitles" and after you find the subtitle, google "add subtitles to a dvd" for instructions to did it yourself.
thank you very much, Parable. I'll check that out immediately.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2021, 02:39 PM

Judd, Thank you very much for the link. However, that youtube copy has a very bad subtitle system. Could be one of the old ones that used a computerized way in putting subtitles in. At least 40% of the words are missing or totally wrong.
Sorry BM, didn't realise that you wanted subtitles specifically, just that you wanted the video/DVD in English. As you say, if you did download that video from YouTube, it wouldn't download any subtitles with it.

What I do is what Parable has just suggested - I download foreign films (cough!) and then the English subtitles from a website. As I watch the films as MP4/AVI/etc, on my PC and not as DVDs, I just download the appropriate subtitles to match the video, or they won't synchronise.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top