Join for free
Page 32 of 33 « First < 22 30 31 32 33 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 10:57 AM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I've just had a call from a very nice (Indian sounding) man from 'Virgin Media', who wanted to warn me that my internet connection is suffering from a fault.
He went through the usual procedure: Are you on the computer? Are you connected to Virgin Media? etc, etc.
The next step was for me to press the Windows key and R.

However, before that I told him that I need to ask him a security question, and asked him to tell me my Virgin account number.
Oh, sorry sir, our systems have changed and in order to do that I need your Virgin registration number.
OK.
To do that, sir, I must ask you to press the Windows key and R.
So I told him that I know my registration number and asked him to tell it to me.
Surprisingly, he reeled off an alphanumeric number, of which I have no idea whether correct or not, but I responded that "no, that number is incorrect".

That was about it and he decided to give it up, but not before calling me
a f***ing c***.
Quite a good English response, I thought, for an Indian chap.
Ooooerrr! that was rude of him! Wonder if that was part of his training?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 11:16 AM

I've just had a call from a very nice (Indian sounding) man from 'Virgin Media', who wanted to warn me that my internet connection is suffering from a fault.
He went through the usual procedure: Are you on the computer? Are you connected to Virgin Media? etc, etc.

However, before that I told him that I need to ask him a security question, and asked him to tell me my Virgin account number.
Oh, sorry sir, our systems have changed and in order to do that I need your Virgin registration number.
OK.
So I told him that I know my registration number and asked him to tell it to me.
Surprisingly, he reeled off an alphanumeric number, of which I have no idea whether correct or not, but I responded that "no, that number is incorrect".

a f***ing c***.

Good technique there JBR.

You could have asked him how he got hold of your password though
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 11:25 AM

Anyway, JBR, this is a description of how the scam might evolve. Don't click on it since the site seems to have a load of popups which makes it irritating to plough through. I'll paste the important bit:

The scammers don’t expect you to take it at their word; they are willing to show proof that your computer has been hacked. They instruct you to press the Windows key and R to bring up the Run box on your system, and to enter commands to open Windows Event Viewer. The caller notes how many errors are listed (most of which are harmless) and uses the list as proof the computer is compromised. "Jake" walked me through finding my unique computer ID using the command line.

“Jake” sounded genuinely horrified when I told her how many errors were in Windows Event Viewer: “This is the worst I’ve ever seen!” I burst out laughing. Needless to say, she hung up immediately.

Once the victim has been convinced there is a problem, the hard part is done. Depending on the scam, the caller tries to talk you into installing remote software, such as TeamViewer or AMMYY, onto your computer, or they direct you to a website to download software that would supposedly fix the problems. The remote control software can be used by the attacker to steal data, download malware, and further compromise the system.

To avail myself of their help, I would have to hand over my credit card number and pay anywhere from $49 to $500. I never got past this step, though.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Ooooerrr! that was rude of him! Wonder if that was part of his training?
Well I had managed to waste over 20 minutes of his time.

If I have nothing better to do, I enjoy this sort of game.
The secret is to keep them talking, and the best way to do that is to feign innocence and naivety.

That's the first time I've had such an explicit comment from them though. Perhaps he'd had a bad day, and it was only ten in the morning.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 12:30 PM

I have not had any scam calls for a few days now. I wonder if they have given up on me?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Good technique there JBR.

You could have asked him how he got hold of your password though
Thanks. He didn't need any password. He just telephoned on the off chance, as they do. In fact, they normally claim to be from BT.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-07-2021, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Anyway, JBR, this is a description of how the scam might evolve. Don't click on it since the site seems to have a load of popups which makes it irritating to plough through. I'll paste the important bit:
Thanks.
Yes, pressing Windows + R is a bit of a give away.
I wasn't too sure what they can access by doing that, but I am aware that it's a doorway into my computer settings.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

23-07-2021, 12:50 PM

Thanks.
Yes, pressing Windows + R is a bit of a give away.
I wasn't too sure what they can access by doing that, but I am aware that it's a doorway into my computer settings.
No access to your computer can be had by doing that. They're just trying to panic the gullible who might get scared seeing a load of harmless error logs coming up on screen. It's their way of catching your attention and luring you in.

The password quip I was trying to make, unsuccessfully, was that your password is effing c.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 09:52 PM

OK.

a f***ing c***.
Perhaps he thought he was talking to me. I called him that a few days ago.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-07-2021, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Perhaps he thought he was talking to me. I called him that a few days ago.
Ah. That explains it. I thought he was such a nice man until he was influenced by you!

Page 32 of 33 « First < 22 30 31 32 33 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top