Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 04:46 PM

Re: Make your Own (soup)

On the subject,

I'm now making this for the evening. The wife is Slovak, so enjoys this.

http://www.russianseason.net/index.p...hristmas-soup/
Anna B
Norfolk
Anna B is female  Anna B has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 05:06 PM

In my previous (well) life I used to make huge stock pot of soup .. some to have that day, some to freeze, and some to give away. These days living alone it isn't worth making such quantity for me, and am not able to stand around for long in kitchen. So, a few weeks ago I bought a soup maker. It makes just a nice quantity for me a couple of portions ,and some to freeze.
Of course, one only gets out of it what one puts in it .. but the machine does most of the work. I'm pleased with it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 05:13 PM

Hi

My soup varies from week to week, simply because all my spare veg goes to make soup the day before I go to the market to get more.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I make large batches of soup in winter time and freeze it, But i do buy soup the rest of the year on the odd occasion i fancy some.
Very good idea to freeze it,at least you know you have made it yourself.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
A number of people on here do Azure
I make lots of soup wouldn't dream of buying any. No stale bread croutons though I like homemade bread rolls or olive and tomato baguettes
Meg
It is nice to know that some people still like to cook and eat fresh food
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

05-05-2016, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My soup varies from week to week, simply because all my spare veg goes to make soup the day before I go to the market to get more.
So you do not waste any food? Good work
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

05-05-2016, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Anna B ->
In my previous (well) life I used to make huge stock pot of soup .. some to have that day, some to freeze, and some to give away. These days living alone it isn't worth making such quantity for me, and am not able to stand around for long in kitchen. So, a few weeks ago I bought a soup maker. It makes just a nice quantity for me a couple of portions ,and some to freeze.
Of course, one only gets out of it what one puts in it .. but the machine does most of the work. I'm pleased with it.
That sounds very useful and quick as well.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

05-05-2016, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
On the subject,

I'm now making this for the evening. The wife is Slovak, so enjoys this.

http://www.russianseason.net/index.p...hristmas-soup/
You obviously eat very well, that soup looks very filling and delicious as well
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

05-05-2016, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I make soup and always have some available either fresh or frozen
I use all my end bits up.....bits of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, swede, celery, cabbage and peppers etc.
Use the stems of broccoli and the leaves of cauliflower. ..too good to throw away.
Chop everything up stick in a large pan of water with a couple of stock cubes and a generous splash of passata and a teaspoon of sugar, bring to boil a simmer for an hour or so.
Thicken with cornflour and water mixture, check for seasoning.
Easy peasy and delicious!
You are quie right, stems of vegetables that folk throw out are full of vitamins and are a good addition to any soup,
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

05-05-2016, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Another soup maker here. And making stock is not time consuming,once all is prepared it just simmers away.
i agree with you, Stock is no trouble to make, and meat and chicken bones usually get thrown out
When slow cooked the stock is full of calcium and turns into a jelly when coldl

Also if you make friends with the Butcher he will give you a bag of bones free.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top