Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2020, 09:54 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

[QUOTE=spitfire;1958283]Why the assumption the devil is a Geezer?

Well I suppose it could be that ‘Man’ or ‘Mankind’ is the title of the human species, ‘Devil’ or ‘Devilkind’ is a title for a species of evil supernatural creatures, however there is no such creature as a kind devil, wickedness IS their forte, but what matter anyway, the ‘kind’ is out of favour with man, it’s all ’ME-kind’ now, and the devil is winning the game be it a he or a she.

In the world of animal species a Fish is just a Fish, there are female Fish but we never her tell of them, and a Frog is a Frog is a Frog as Maggie would say, females are not usually mentioned regarding species unless reproduction comes into play.
Suppose men were discussing a Giraffe, we would all assume the Giraffe was a male, and a female Giraffe was a lady Giraffe, but that’s not so, and here’s were it gets confusing, a female Giraffe is actually called a Cow, and a Cow is a completely different species, a female Elephant is also called a cow, I mean that’s like making out that most females are cows!, perish the thought.

There is no intention by men here to offend females of any species, It’s just the way we are and we presume too much.

Presumption can get one into trouble, as happened when the Lone Ranger and Tonto were confronted by a hostile tribe of well armed Native Americans, the Lone Ranger turns to Tonto and in a shaky voice says “Your a Native American Tonto, I presume you are friendly with this tribe?” “Methinks paleface do whole lotta presuming Kemo Sabe, Get ‘em up Scout”, and Tonto gallops away.
By the way Ke-mo sah-bee, or Kemo sabe as used by Tonto in the TV series means “He who peeks”, so the Lone Ranger was a bit of a peeping Tom eh, you learn something new everyday with google.

Native American Actors
GET 'EM UP, SCOUT - Jay Silverheels as "Tonto" - faithful Indian companion of THE LONE RANGER (Clayton Moore) which was a long-running ABC-TV series, not a lot of people know that his brother Moe Silvertoes was a professional ballet dancer.

Alas, I ramble, where’s RJ to put me back on the straight and narrow again.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2020, 10:06 PM

A lone Ranger, obviously never gave ground to Birds, after the initial Bang Bang, its tough dealing with the Boom Boom, it is surprising there is only one Lone Ranger.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 07:24 AM

Jem, you seen that new action film about lockdown, and self isolation, great watch, directed by Quentin Quarantino I believe.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

29-08-2020, 09:59 PM

RJ reminded me of my father, bit like the Darth Vader context, it was a bit uncanny.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 10:16 PM

To me RJ was a very sophisticated gentleman Spitty, with a vast knowledge of many things.

Sophistication.

“The quality of having an understanding of the world and its ways, and having an understanding of the way people behave”

Real sophistication in people is very rare nowadays, Kipling wrote something like, holding your head when everybody else is losing theirs, and this pandemic has seen many persons of importance losing theirs, they could not give proper advice or reassurance to their frightened citizens when they needed it most, no sophistication whatsoever.

Badly missed are all the sophisticated people that used to frequent the old pubs, clubs, and later on forums.
Towns and villages had their idiots, but they also had their wise men and women.

Years ago there was always some wise old geezer or biddy handy to put you on the straight and narrow, or explain the wonderful workings of the wheelbarrow, old wise heads that could tell you how to fill in your tax forms and save a few quid at the same time, how to deliver a baby and if you hadn’t got a car how to collect your own baby, they were only too happy to oblige and you never felt awkward asking them about stuff you didn’t understand, they were worldly experienced and knew how people behaved.

All we get now are old men and women giving out about politics and the price of eggs, not as it they could do anything about it, everyones gone all cranky these days and the good nature is definitely leaving the people, they are all out for themselves, quite a few teenagers of the 60’s and 70’s became the moaning old grumps and begrudgers of the 2020’s, what would they have thought then if they could see and hear themselves now?

We could do with those sympathetic sophisticated old folks of yore to reassure both young and old during these worrying times, induce a bit of confidence into the people instead of gloom and despair.

"Jem, you seen that new action film about lockdown, and self isolation, great watch, directed by Quentin Quarantino I believe"

I’ll definitely keep an eye out for that one Spitty, thanks for the tip.

Lockdown, the great box-in, when we all had to start thinking “Box” and look up “Things to do when confined to your box”
Quentin Tarantino thinks outside the box, his work ticks all my boxes, he can take my money and open the box anytime, he’s very successful at the box office too, in fact he’s my all round boxer chappie.
When this is all over, it’s on my bucket list to ride a train across the USA in a boxcar all squared up with Quintin Tarantino and Boxcar Willie, pure heaven! Then I can go contentedly to my own little box six feet under, no doubt about it, boxes have a major role to play in this world.

Pete Seeger knew what it was all about all those years ago.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

29-08-2020, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
To me RJ was a very sophisticated gentleman Spitty, with a vast knowledge of many things.

Sophistication.

“The quality of having an understanding of the world and its ways, and having an understanding of the way people behave”

Real sophistication in people is very rare nowadays, Kipling wrote something like, holding your head when everybody else is losing theirs, and this pandemic has seen many persons of importance losing theirs, they could not give proper advice or reassurance to their frightened citizens when they needed it most, no sophistication whatsoever.

Badly missed are all the sophisticated people that used to frequent the old pubs, clubs, and later on forums.
Towns and villages had their idiots, but they also had their wise men and women.

Years ago there was always some wise old geezer or biddy handy to put you on the straight and narrow, or explain the wonderful workings of the wheelbarrow, old wise heads that could tell you how to fill in your tax forms and save a few quid at the same time, how to deliver a baby and if you hadn’t got a car how to collect your own baby, they were only too happy to oblige and you never felt awkward asking them about stuff you didn’t understand, they were worldly experienced and knew how people behaved.

All we get now are old men and women giving out about politics and the price of eggs, not as it they could do anything about it, everyones gone all cranky these days and the good nature is definitely leaving the people, they are all out for themselves, quite a few teenagers of the 60’s and 70’s became the moaning old grumps and begrudgers of the 2020’s, what would they have thought then if they could see and hear themselves now?

We could do with those sympathetic sophisticated old folks of yore to reassure both young and old during these worrying times, induce a bit of confidence into the people instead of gloom and despair.

"Jem, you seen that new action film about lockdown, and self isolation, great watch, directed by Quentin Quarantino I believe"

I’ll definitely keep an eye out for that one Spitty, thanks for the tip.

Lockdown, the great box-in, when we all had to start thinking “Box” and look up “Things to do when confined to your box”
Quentin Tarantino thinks outside the box, his work ticks all my boxes, he can take my money and open the box anytime, he’s very successful at the box office too, in fact he’s my all round boxer chappie.
When this is all over, it’s on my bucket list to ride a train across the USA in a boxcar all squared up with Quintin Tarantino and Boxcar Willie, pure heaven! Then I can go contentedly to my own little box six feet under, no doubt about it, boxes have a major role to play in this world.

Pete Seeger knew what it was all about all those years ago.

That is true Jem, it is unfortunate that the Sages are Stuffed, but, the plebs are left, to work through the fall out.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

30-08-2020, 10:07 PM

Remember that other Quintin, Quintin Crisp?, born Denis Charles Pratt.
Now I can understand someone being born with a name like Pratt wanting to change it, but changing it from Pratt to Crisp in going from the frying pan into the fire.
And then “Quintin” Jaysus! what a name to inflict on a person.
Still I admire the man for his courage in being what he was in a time when you could be locked up for it or beaten up by a gang of louts, which indeed he was.

As regards first names, I have often thought it might be a good idea to call children by a number and letter system until they reach an age were they can confidently select a name they like themselves, say in a family of four kids, the first born would be 1R followed by 2R and so on, the letter representing their surname say it was Ryan, and the Burke family would use 1B, 2B, then as teenagers they pick their own name.
It would save a lot of misery and slagging at school too, some kids really have crap names chosen for them, they have absolutely no say in the matter, and it’s the kids who have to suffer for their parents stupidity, not one bit fair in my opinion.
Thankfully they used ordinary names in my family, Tommy, John, Jimmy, Joe, none of your Quintin nonsense.

I used to smoke a brand of cigar called “Slim Panatella” in my youth of the 60’s, but only on the weekends when I could afford them.
One Saturday night before I went into the dance hall I ventured into the tobacconist shop to get my cigar fix, the regular fella was off on holidays and there was a new tall and very skinny fella in his place, I took a pound note out of my wallet, smiled at him and asked “Have you got Slim Panetellas?”
“No I haven’t yeh cheeky little bugger!!!
Either he didn’t know much about the tobacco business or I shouldn’t have produced a pound note and smiled.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

31-08-2020, 10:39 PM

Square pegs, round holes, what about 2b or not 2b, and for that matter, where exactly would RJ slot in?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

03-09-2020, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Square pegs, round holes, what about 2b or not 2b, and for that matter, where exactly would RJ slot in?

You brought old memories back to me Spitty.
I remember back in the 50’s when Tuberculosis was rampant in Dublin, my own Dad had it, but there was always a bit of gallows humour about it.
When the mobile X-ray vans visited the housing estates screening the men (they had a different van for the women) coming out of Sunday mass and heading for the pub to wait for it to open at 12.30, an ideal time to catch them, when anyone brave enough to take the x-ray and saliva test went in some of their mates would wait outside, and when they emerged from the van they would say “Well?, TB or not TB, that is the question”—- Honestly.

Anyway in the case of RJ’s name there is already built in data into his place in family identification as Robert JUNIOR.
There was a rumour that he had a famous mechanical cousin, a film star in fact, called R2-D2, he also had an Aunt with a weak bladder, don’t know her full name but she used 2U Ryan a lot.

I spelt Panatela wrong deliberately in my last post, there is only one “L” in it, just to be realistically correct as opposed to grammatically correct, it is pronounced with two “L’s”—Pan-a-Tel-La, and not Pan-a-Te-La, I try to get the sound effects through if at all possible, they are more important than the spelling I think. (that should help confuse the language puritans. )
Now there’s a subject for a good debate “Is it more practical to be realistically correct or politically correct?” All depends on who you’re dealing with I suppose.

Three modern terms, that to me, seem very abrupt and annoying, I’ve got two grandsons in their early twenties, I see them nearly every day so I’m normally very adaptable to new sayings and terms, but these three I would never use.

“Go figure”- An insulting way of saying “Work it out for yourself”

“My bad” -An excuse for not giving a due apology.

“It’s a no brainer” -Wow look at me!, I’m so clever I don’t even have to think about it to figure it out.

I heard a very old one used in a radio play last night, a fella was working in his shed when a hammer hit him on his thump (the sound effects were wonderful), he yells out “Confound it!”, well I suppose it’s nicer than saying “F..k it!” which is the norm.

My God we’ve had some very heavy showers the past few days, I may have to cut the hedge again, it’s shooting up.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

03-09-2020, 11:06 PM

Everyone should go figure Jem, imo, it is incumbent on the individual.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top