Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 10:38 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Nice Bird BTW.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Yep, its hard to "Strike" when the Iron is Hot.
A first class reply Spitty, very apt indeed, I love it.

I believe Amber had another boyfriend many years later and she would invite him over to her flat to watch a hammer horror video on Friday nights, both of them would be in their underwear, she used to call those evenings her “Hammer and Thongs” nights.
Yes, with Amber you didn’t have to hang around for long before you got the green light.

Read today that black holes have shadows, wonder what colour they are, white?
And the wife says I’m daft.

A fella called to the door today, he said he was a gas contractor, he had to do something with the boiler, it hadn’t been heating up the water properly and Phyllis feared something was wrong, best to be safe lest the natural gas would burn our ass and blow us all to hell, as the song goes.
I didn’t know she had contacted anyone as I answered the door to him, the wife was busy in the kitchen.

He had one of those identifying label badges on his coat with his name in block letters on it and when I looked at it I'll never know how I held in the laughing, I asked him to hold on a minute till I got the wife, she'll know more about it than I would, then I dashed into the kitchen and let out the restrained laughter, guess what his name was?… Percy Fitzswilly!
I kid you not, isn't fact stranger than fiction, I couldn’t live in the same body with a name like that, I blame the parents for not changing their surname, think of the slagging he must have taken as a schoolboy.
I knew a fella called Michael Swilly, but never heard of a Fitzswilly. Fitzgerald, Fitzpatrick, Fitzmaurice, yes, but no Fitzwilly. I believe Fitz roughly translated means “bastard son of”

Come to think of it, Fitzswilly would be a great name for a condom company.

Talk about fitting, I remember going to a fashionable tailor in Grafton Street to have a suit made, It was in the mid 60’s and I was flushed with coin at that time, when it was finished I tried it on and it felt a bit tight under the arms, the salesman stood back and said.
“Why it’s perfect Mr. Mac, it fits you like a glove!”
“I know it does, but I wanted it to fit like a suit”

Ah and then there was sweet little Alice Ryan who lived next door, never got pass a smile and a wink across the fence with her, the family moved to Canada before I could get up the nerve to ask her out, well they do say he who hesitates is lost.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 10:05 PM

Yep Jem, Alice would have been toast, next door to me, on the Estate.

Before long, she would have been "Browned Off".
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2020, 10:36 PM

Seriously Spitty, when you look back on those lustful days of youth anything could have happened, one slip and God knows what a young lad or lassie could end up spending the rest of their lives living with, dangerous times, but and we didn't realise it then.

Followers or stragglers?

According to what I’ve been reading It seems important to the kids of today to have many ‘followers’ on F/B and similar social media outlets, seems the more you have the more popular you are with your friends not to mention the opposite sex, good for them I say, it’s their world now let them enjoy it while they can, time passes so quickly.

I know I’m guilty of being very old fashioned, but when I hear the word ‘followers’ I’m inclined to think of the bible and how Christ had many followers, they followed him up mountains, across deserts, into temples, on fishing trips, and when he wasn’t sitting on his ass they walked behind him following him everywhere he went, if yeh follow me.

I can only think of one follower I ever had, it was our family cat at the time, Ginger used to follow me to school then bugger off till twenty past two when he would return and sit on the school window ledge outside the classroom, then when we broke up at half two he’d follow me home again, how he knew the time I’ll never know.

There used to be many beggars on the streets of Dublin back in the 1970’s/80’s and if you walked down O’Connell street waving a pound note you could have as many followers as you wished, as a matter of fact you couldn’t throw a brick without hitting a follower.
It just goes to show you that money has the most followers of all no matter where you live in this world

I’m wondering do these youngsters have to send their followers a Christmas card or something?
I was thinking perhaps some capitalist could capitalise on this and produce a fairly cheap badge to send to the faithful followers, it could feature a loaf of bread and a fish, to symbolise how Christ fed his followers when they ran out of grub on that miraculous day whilst assembled on the mountain.
On second thought maybe fish and chips or a pizza would be more up to date.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

04-10-2020, 10:45 PM

Cashless society Jem, that is to watch, and what will ensue.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

04-10-2020, 10:49 PM

Johnny Cash has gone, timing is everything.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

04-10-2020, 10:52 PM

There will be a time for serious Jem, that is logical, but not today.
Probably.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2020, 06:15 AM

I'm still marveling at ginger who could tell the time
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

05-10-2020, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I'm still marveling at ginger who could tell the time

Hello Summer, what a lovely surprise to see you here.
Yes old ginger was some cool cat, out of three brothers and a sister to chose from I was the only one he followed around, our dog used to follow the sister. All the kids at school loved ginger, he was something special, and he knew it too.
I’m sure animals have strange powers we don’t have or can’t decipher into human logic, imagine what they could tell us if we could verbally communicate directly with them.

Blame.
Why do we as humans have to have someone to blame when things go wrong?
I won’t go into the political blaming game, that’s always been part and parcel of politics and politicians could not survive without blaming either those who governed before them of those who will govern after them, it’s a perpetual merry-go-round of lies and deceit, and always will be.

What I’m really getting at is the domestic blamers, for those who are in long term relationships. and with me being over 50 years married I’m well used to being blamed on stuff, when I’m guilty I’m the first to apologise, but when I’m innocent I will stand my corner to the last.

Take today for example, I was out in the workshop pottering away, humming a pleasant tune and as happy as a pig in muck until out comes the wife with the portable phone in her hand.
“It’s for you, your brother is on the line”

While I was talking she sort of hung around trying to look busy by picking up tools and examining them even if she hadn’t a clue what they were for, anyway I wasn’t long on the phone so I handed it back to her saying thanks for bringing it out to me.

While she was there she asked me to size up her wedding ring as it was starting to hurt her finger again, I fixed it for her, polished it and gave it back to her and she went inside.

Fifteen minutes later she comes back out and asks me for the phone.
“I gave it back to you my dear”
“Oh no you didn’t”
Followed by a series of pantomime “Oh yes I did’s” and “Oh no you didn’t’s”

Well you get the idea of domestic blaming, she was very insistent that I had put it somewhere until I asked her to ring the home number from her mobile, she did and the ringing came from the kitchen, she had placed it in the drawer with the knives and forks.

OK that happens to us all at this stage of life, but why do we always need to blame someone else for our own short comings? Why could she not just say “I’ve mislaid the phone Jem, can you help me find it?”
To which I would have replied with a smile.
“Certainly my dear”

summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 09:42 AM

Ginger sounds lovely..Jem I always come here to read your little bedtime story before I go off to dreamland ..
.just plain nosey I guess

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top